Not really understanding classes and inheritance.

I have a gizmo class with 2 virtual methods. I can put gizmos in my program, the compiler is happy with them and their methods run happily when I call the base class's methods. Very nice.

Now, I want each gizmo to have 0 or more thingies, and each thingy has a different "DoIt" method. Being an antique Pascal programmer, I thought first of a linked list. So I added a Thingy * to my Gizmo class, and a constructor on the Thingy that builds a linked list. The Thingies come in reverse order in the list, but I don't care. If I did, it would be easy to fix.

The trouble comes when I try to add a virtual method to the Thingy class. It does not let me to that unless I derive classes for each different thingy, but once I do that, it doesn't use the base class's constructor.

class Thingy ;

class Gizmo
{
public:
	Thingy * pThingy = nullptr ;
	virtual void Switch() ;
	virtual  int Loop(unsigned long ms)=0;
};

class Thingy
{
public:
	Thingy * pNext ;
	int x ; int y; int w; int h; int id ;
	Thingy( int px, int py, int pw, int ph, int pid, Gizmo *pS) ;
	virtual void DoIt() ;
};

void Thingy::DoIt()
{

}

class AGizmo: public Gizmo
{

public:
	virtual void Switch() ;
	virtual  int Loop(unsigned long ms);
};

class pThing1: Thingy
{
public:
  void DoIt() ;
}; 

pThing1 Thing1(5, 200, 60, 30, 1, &AGizmo);

pThing1::DoIt()
{
}

tempscreen.cpp:26:56: error: no matching function for call to 'pThing1::Thing1(int, int, int, int, int, Gizmo*)'

But now the compiler doesn't find the constructor for pThing1. I thought it would use the constructor in Thingy to build the linked list. If I don't make the pThing1 class and just make objects of type Thingy, the constructor seems happy, but it doesn't let me make Thing1::DoIt() methods.

(I translated this by hand from what I'm really trying to do into Gizmo and Thingy because I did not want suggestions of libraries to do what I'm trying to do, I want to understand the ways of C++ better.)

Puzzled, but not astonished,

Tentoes
Last edited on
Now, I want each gizmo to have 0 or more thingies, and each thingy has a different "DoIt" method. Being an antique Pascal programmer, I thought first of a linked list.

This being C++, a vector is the way to do that, rather than a linked list. This being C++, you need a really good reason to use a linked list. That's just by-the-by, though.

This is an attempt to create an object of type pThing1 using, as you suspect, a constructor that does not exist. In C++ you need to specifically state that you want to inherit constructors.

{
using Thingy::Thingy;
public:
  void DoIt() ;
}; 

The trouble comes when I try to add a virtual method to the Thingy class. It does not let me to that unless I derive classes for each different thingy,

I don't follow. How can you have different thingy objects without deriving classes for them?
Last edited on
Oh. I see: using Thingy::Thingy; is what I'm missing.

I'll read up on vectors.

Thanks,

Tentoes
"using" seems to have done the trick. I'll spend some time reading this "vector" article.
After your code editing, your first post is no more connected with your reported issues.
Tentoes wrote:
tempscreen.cpp:26:56: error: no matching function for call to 'pThing1::Thing1(int, int, int, int, int, Gizmo*)'

Now your line 26 is:
{

As your code is now, I think you’d better take care of what the compiler points out before trying to guess further issues:
class Thingy ;

class Gizmo
{
public:
    Thingy * pThingy = nullptr ;
    virtual void Switch() ;
    virtual  int Loop(unsigned long ms)=0;
};

class Thingy
{
public:
    Thingy * pNext ;
    int x ; int y; int w; int h; int id ;
    Thingy( int px, int py, int pw, int ph, int pid, Gizmo *pS) ;
    virtual void DoIt() ;
};

void Thingy::DoIt()
{
}

class AGizmo: public Gizmo
{
public:
    virtual void Switch() ;
    virtual int Loop(unsigned long ms);
};

{
public:
    void DoIt() ;
}; 

// This is a standalone function prototype, i.e. the prototype of a function
// that does not belong to any class.
// Being a prototype, you need to specify the types for your parameters.
// int is assumed -----||
//                     \/         \/----- Reference to...?
// error: expected primary-expression before ')' token
// pThing1 Thing1(5, 200, 60, 30, 1, &AGizmo);
//                                          ^

// Missing return type specification: int is assumed; but there's just one
// prototype for this function, and that prototype declares the function to be
// of type void:
pThing1::DoIt()
// error: no declaration matches 'int pThing1::DoIt()'
// pThing1::DoIt()
// ^~~~~~~
{
}

// Just to compile:
int main() {}

When you post your code, please add a main() - that makes it faster to check your code on an online compiler by a simple click.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.