Question on References

Pages: 12
Go back to the second year laboratory and study the definition once again, because it seems you studied it too little. Or read the cited Wikipedia excerpt once again, because you haven't understood.
C++ is a much more complex language, but it is also used to write usually smaller and simpler systems than Java. The transition from C++ to Java can require a lot of time for learning all the libraries and concepts not found in C++ world. It is easy only if you keep solving with Java the same easy problems you were solving with C++.
http://i35.tinypic.com/120rw53.jpg

USA + UK is not a small portion of it.
By total surface area:
( USA + UK ) / Earth = ( 9629090 + 245000 ) / 510072000 = 1.94%

By land surface area:
( USA + UK ) / Earth = ( 9158960 + 243000 ) / 148940000 = 6.31%

By population:
( USA + UK ) / Earth = ( 310297000 + 62041708 ) / 6803000000 = 5.47%
Last edited on
[quote=helios]By total surface area:
( USA + UK ) / Earth = ( 9629090 + 245000 ) / 510072000 = 1.94%[/code]
.. and by total populated surface area? ;)
I don't think any demographic goes into that much detail. For one, even a desert doesn't have a density of 0 H.S./km^2, so there's no clear definition of what "uninhabited" means.
closed account (EzwRko23)
To be truly correct you should calculate how many programmers there are world-wide and how many of these programmers reside in US and UK. You will get much more than 5%. But even if it is still 5%, 5% is enough to be considered a statistically relevant sample.
Last edited on
The current market conditions in the US and UK aren't representative. There's currently an outsourcing trend.
I gather there are about as many programmers in India and China as there are people in the US.
Last edited on
So yeah, let's get back to the topic guys, we're talking about populations in a question thread about references. Give me a break.

I gather there are about as many programmers in India and China as there are people in the US.

Yep, and these India and Chinese programmers for sure program in C++ and not Java. Oh, man. Give yourself a break. :D

"my purely speculative argument is better than your purely speculative argument"

helios' point is that you're not providing any factual basis that supports your argument. You're just stating some "statistic" you very well could have just made up. Then to support it you provide some evidence that's totally not applicable to what you claimed.

You then tried to say the evidence is applicable by stating some other bogus statistic that has no evidentiary support.

Do you see the problem here?

The fact is, the US and UK alone do not make up "most of the whole world".

If you want to make a claim that contradicts a fact, you need to give facts of your own. Otherwise nobody is going to take you seriously. You can't just pull baseless theories out of your ass and expect us to buy into them.
Let it go, Disch. This is boring and stupid.

Ever heard of a term "representative sample"? You don't have to ask every programmer in the world to get a good estimate on the popularity of tools / languages they use. A 5% sample is good enough. Programming is not area-dependent, unlike gold-mining, so there are no reasons the distribution is significantly different in the other parts of the globe. For example, in Poland it is just the same as US. Except the fact that overall salary level is smaller for both C++ and Java, the proportions in number of positions and median salaries remain the same. I also have a collegue that works for Google as a C++ programmer (in Zurich). He doesn't earn more than Java programmers at Google.

Salaries are mostly company and position-dependent, not programming language dependent.

But they make the most of important software. Google, Microsoft, Apple, Oracle - are all US companies. They also hire the most skilled programmers and have the best universities in the world. So they can be viewed as the "most important part of the whole IT world".

BTW: Helios, you first claimed that C++ programmers are in value in Argentina. So, where is evidence for that?
Last edited on
Lol! When I actually made the post, I thought this should be one of those posts where you gotto wait for a day for a reply! I was busy for a couple of days and when I looked at to today, I should admit that I was indeed very surprised!!!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12