Where to go from here...

Hello :-) I'm Jen. New to programming & new to the forum. After much research, I've decided C++ is the language I'm going to start with. Although I've heard it can by difficult to learn, my dad's a programmer, network engineer, web developer & all around tech guy & I inherited the aptitude so I figured I enjoy it, why not take advantage of it!! From what I understand, learning a language like C++ will give me a much better understanding of what programming really IS vs going with a more simplified language that does lots of things automatically. So I want to build a good, solid foundation.

I really don't even know what I want to do in programming yet. I'm just curious what you pro's out there would recommend in terms of the next language I should learn. I know it depends on what I want to do with it, which for now is just make myself as marketable as possible, then I'll go more creative with it, perhaps gaming, etc.

Some say go to Java and/or JavaScript, others say PHP and .NET. What do you guys think (in terms of marketability at the moment)?

Thanks!!

Jenn
Duplicate of thread here: http://cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/42151/

EDIT: -Ms. Albatross. I thought you knew by now, Moschops.
Last edited on
No no no, one thread per question please. :)

http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/42151/

Edit: Beaten to the punch by mere seconds!

More Edit: In fact, my history contains a page in which my answer is the only answer, making me think that I must have beaten Albatross to the punch, but ended up later than him on the page. Does the page list all members of a thread by time and then alphabetical author, or some such? That's an interesting glimpse into the workings of the site.
Last edited on
Thanks guys. I should've thought to search dead threads lol :-)
So, Moschops... and ascii if you're out there... :-)

I posted this to the thread you guys directed me to but I wasn't sure if you'd would see it there:

AWESOME to hear that C++ is so in demand!!! Guess I picked a good one!! I know it's supposedly "on it's way out" yet it still seems so widely used that I doubt it will be outta here by the time I learn it lol.

And thx ascii, i've only just started the cprogramming.com tutorial. It all makes perfect sense but in my mind I'm thinking, wow...how much code (and knowledge of such) will it take to create your "average" program lol??? I'm sure you end up learning shortcuts, etc., but still...wow!! I'm not concerned by that, I'm hooked already...from newbie to junkie!!! But I imagine (though possibly not), there will be times when I'll feel like I'm just droning through it to get to the other side. Even if its a year away, I still want to look toward the future though. Any suggestion of sites (or other threads) that suggest languages "packages" (if a "package" is even necessary) based on what you want to do in programming?

So Moschops, would you say that being really proficient in C++ would already put me in high demand without knowing another language? (Assuming the demand remains at least uniform in the duration it takes me to learn it)?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.