Can you suggest a bood free C++ IDE?

I tried Eclipse C++ plugin, and the experience seems to be very bad.

Any good free C++ IDE to recommend? Thanks.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Visual C++ Express 2010 (Windows Only), Code::Blocks, CodeLite, wx-Dev-C++, Netbeans, XCode(Mac Only)
Last edited on
Great. will try that.
code::blocks for sure
I just installed C++ Expresss 2010, and started a HelloWorld project in C++. I build successfully with the message:
1>------ Build started: Project: Test, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1> main.cc
1> Test.vcxproj -> c:\users\cmin\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Test\Debug\Test.exe
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

But I didn't find where to run the program, and I didn't see the executable either. any hints? thanks.
When you created your project there was a Location: option. That's where your files are. I have my system modified but I think the default will be My Documents/Visual Studio 20xx/Projects.

You can also use the debug menu option "Start Debugging" (F5) and you will see your results immediately.
yes, i can run the .exe from my directory. But when I ran it from "Start Debugging" (F5) , the running window just pops up shortly then disappears. I can't really see the running result with this message:
'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\Users\cmin\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Test\Debug\Test.exe', Symbols loaded.
'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp100d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'Test.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100d.dll', Symbols loaded.
The program '[8348] Test.exe: Native' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

I am running on Windows 7 Professional.
Thanks.

http://cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/1988/

I'm not sure on the DLL errors (or warnings) but PDB files are MS debugger files. Perhaps it's aa Win7 thing. Hopefully someone else can help you there.
PDF files: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program_database

BTW: Tools > Options > Projects and Solutions is where the location of your EXE and debug files are set.
you'll have to use
system ("pause")
command at the end of your code to pause cmd window.
the command is windows specific btw.

to have debugger window or any other window opened all the time you'll have to click option on the "view" at top of the screen.
then use smal "pin" icon on the right of the window to permanently pin it to your C++ editor (or unpin )

enjoy!
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.