what next

I want to develop software as a living when i get older. Besides c++ what should i learn to develop software...I would like to sell shareware on like download.cnet. Have any of you done that and can you give me tips on how to reach that goal.
?
It really depends on what you're going to be working on.
Game developers often choose C++, C# or Java and maybe Lua as a scripting language or even Lua itself for the main program.
Web developers should have some knowledge of client/server communication, Javascript and PHP depending on what field they're working on.

Any programmer should have a wealth of knowledge under his belt, though. Just shop around for a language. Read up on things. If you're stuck, try learning a language even if you don't like how it looks firsthand. I did this with Lisp and happened to fall in love with it, even though I haven't learned much yet.

As for business-oriented things, well, I can't help you there. But you're doing the right thing by asking.

Could you clarify what you want to develop?
Last edited on
i would maybe like to develop a not taking and personal organizing app
App? As in mobile or desktop?

Mobile: Learn Objective-C for iPhone development or Java for Android development.

Desktop: Bit more of a choice with Windows development. Go with C++, C# or Java. For Mac, go with Objective-C.

Consider your market if you're looking to sell though. As well as there being pre-installed apps like Notes or iCal already installed on desktop, there's things like EverNote and Skitch knocking about. How is your app going to be marketable and profitable? This is as much a decision as your choice of language/platform.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.