Error reading in string from file

For class I have a project where I am given a file and the first line is a number that indicates how many structures I will need to make to house the data, and then it starts with that many 3-part sections that I need to read into a structure. The form goes Title of Movie, Rating, and Profit. I.E.:
The Pirates of the Caribbean

The problem I am having is when I try to read in the title of the movie, I output it right after I read it in to make sure it is reading correctly, but I am getting nothing. It reads in blank. The same goes for reading in the next two lines, they print out as 0.

Here is the code:

for (int count = 0; count < numberOfMovies; count++)
        {
            getline(inputFile, titleTemp);
            cout << titleTemp << endl; //Prints out as a space

inputFile >> ratingTemp;
            cout << ratingTemp << endl; //Prints out '0'

inputFile >> profitTemp;
            cout << profitTemp << endl; //Prints out '0'

moviePointer[count].title = titleTemp;
            moviePointer[count].rating = ratingTemp;
            moviePointer[count].profit = profitTemp;
       }

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Where is the code wehre you open the filestream?
Beforehand, not shown in the block I posted. It opens fine, because it reads the first line holding the number perfectly.

inputFile.open("/Users/kevin/Desktop/movies.txt");
Last edited on
Not sure, but this doesn't appear to be the proper way to read from a file, I would say that you should be using a buffer to read the data from the file instead of dumping your stream object into the cout stream.
The way I was usually taught, for numbers for instance, is:

inputfile >> myVariable;

and if you put that in a loop it keeps going down the line reading them in. You could read it into an array as well, for example. That only works for numbers though.
Moorecm, You sir are a lifesaver. That was perfect, thanks!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.