How do i get values from PC games?

closed account (LAfSLyTq)
i know i can get them by using cheatengine, but cheatengine isnt very good at this, anyone know how else i could do this?
The general method for reading external memory in Windows would be:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms680553(v=vs.85).aspx

Use of the function is deterministic. You can most likely find examples elsewhere. i.e:

http://www.blizzhackers.cc/viewtopic.php?t=434323
the first link doesnt work and the second link already has the values in the code but doesnt explain how they got it.

here is what i am actually asking for

i want to know how to get this type of value

0x########

without using cheatengine
the first link doesnt work

It loads fine for me in Chrome, Firefox and IE. I know there's no problem with the function itself since I've used it before, so what's the issue?

... already has the values in the code but doesnt explain how they got it.

You can start from 0 and run all the way up to whatever the OS lets you. In general, I'm unsure of how to define what the limits of the process' memory is, but I'd play around with the function and see what it gives you.

here is what i am actually asking for

i want to know how to get this type of value

0x########

That's what I'm trying to point you to, and I would appreciate it if you could avoid having an ill-formed tone. I could have skipped this topic entirely and left you alone.

When you say "values from PC games" I'm assuming you mean accessing the values at specific points in memory. In that case, the function does exactly what you need and can provide values that can be translated to hexadecimal. I'd attempt working with this myself if Visual Studio wasn't currently under the process of reinstalling, but in the meantime we can at least make sure we're on the same page in terms of your question.
Last edited on
i apologize for my hostile form or tone, i meant in no way to sound hostile. im just very confused. how do i use this to find an ammo counters value?

say i have 12 bullets in a pistol.
how do i find the "0x#######" value for the pistol ammo from this code?
Last edited on
In which case, I apologize for misinterpreting you. I'll take a step back, then: What do you mean by
the "0x#######" value
? Are you referring to the memory location or the value itself? The title of the topic asks for the value, but the hexadecimal indicates that you're asking for a memory location.
what i meant to ask it basically... how do i find the process memory location by using values WITHOUT having to use cheatengine.

im fine with using cheatengine, but it cannot find the static process memory address that i want. it blows
Last edited on
From the looks of it, you can use VirtualQueryEx to retrieve basic process information regarding its memory:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366907(v=vs.85).aspx

The function fills a MEMORY_BASIC_INFORMATION object for you, after which I'd use ReadProcessMemory from the starting location to the extents of the process memory and search for the value you want. You're going to have to do a trial-and-error method to narrow down the results.

What's wrong with Cheat Engine's memory scanning?
cheat engine cant find a static process memory address on HALO PC, it just finds the current address for the interger.
Why is there a static address and a dynamic address for the same variable?
there isnt, the dynamic is the variable that control then ammo, but i need to find the static because the dynamic address changes if you shut tdown the game, therefore the address i have would be worthless, i need the static address because the static adress never changes.
Alright, I see what you mean now. I believe that would require reverse engineering of the executable itself, but I'm not an expert in that area.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.