Difficulty with C++ GUI

The few GUI libraries I tried were confusing.

How can I make windows, buttons, text boxes, and program them with my own stuff?

Should I switch to Java for GUI applications? I've done some Java GUI in the past. I stopped learning Java so I can focus on C++, and become pro at it, then go back to Java, or start a new programming language.
How can I make windows, buttons, text boxes, and program them with my own stuff?

By using GUI libraries. =P

Most GUI libraries are confusing because there is a lot of diversity on what guis are capable of. GUI design is actually one of the hardest areas of programming, IMO.

Some libs are simpler and less featurefull than others. If things like wxWidgets and Qt are too complicated for you, you can try something simpler, like FLTK.

Should I switch to Java for GUI applications?

That's another option. But you'll have to deal with a GUI lib there, as well.
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
Yah Qt requires an extra step in compilation where metadata is created for custom control classes. I believe it's anything that inherits from QObject. I think it is worth the hassle though, the GUI is easily customizable and it is also used by Autodesk in Maya.

I would recommend it but to each their own.
you could try using win32 assembly programming
it is quite the lower level brother of c++
a nice tutorial at: http://win32assembly.online.fr/tutorials.html
I stopped learning Java so I can focus on C++, and become pro at it, then go back to Java, or start a new programming language.

It sounds like your doing this to gain valuable knowledge and experience. Because QT programming skills are probably the most in demand for GUI development, I think you should learn QT.

It doesn't make much sense to just pick a random widget library and put energy into learning it. Especially if you pick one that is never used in any professional software, being that you want to become a pro.

Whatever you pick, there will be a learning curve. You need to start simple getting a window up and a button on the screen. Look for examples and tutorials, read through the documentation, ask for help on forums when you get stuck.

Last edited on
closed account (3TXyhbRD)
Any GUI library you focus on learning it will pay of. It's not about learning classes, it's about understanding how graphical components interact. If you understand how Qt works, you won't have problems understanding a different GUI lib because the principles are the same, but other names for classes.

As for which GUI lib to take for fist use, I would recommend Qt since I've worked with it and it has quite a lot of features. It may take some time on first use, but once you see how things work it'll be really easy. Also there are a lot of tutorials for Qt on their sire, should totally try it (and Qt Creator as well).
Are you learning GUI just for fun and just as a hobby? or do you want to learn money with it ? once you know the answer, than it is really easy to go forward.
Is Visual Studio 2010 good for learning GUI stuff? I'm new to this too and I'm wanting to learn so I can make professional applications.
In my opinion, which is not popular, Visual Studio is bad for beginners in general. It's a complex tool and much of what is learnt in the early stages by beginners is not C++ but Visual Studio, and it hides from the user the fundamental mechanics of what is going on such that we get people turning up after five years of using it asking what a linker is.
Thanks for the quick response. So would you recommend Qt as well?
I'd happily recommend QT as a library for GUIs, but programming ability is more important than happening to be familiar with any one particular tool. Once you've used a few different GUI toolkits, picking up whichever one happens to be the local choice is easy.
Last edited on
Thanks...do you know where I should go to get started learning Qt and where to go to download it to get everything up and running?
Thanks for all the excellent replies. I'll try out QT.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.