Resizing array of pointers to objects

When resizing an array of pointers to objects, how do I define the array, and how do I copy the objects from 1 array to another.

defining in header of Parent:

Child *init;

then in the Parent constructor, allocating memory for 10 Child objects:
Child = new *init [10];

and finally a function for resizing:

Child *temp [20];
for ( i=0 ; i<10 ; i++ )
    {
         temp[i] = init[i]; // should I use assignment operator
         temp[i](init[i]);  // or overloaded copy constructor?
    }

delete [] init; 

Child init = new Child[20];
//then same as above, for (i=0....) 

This is just the core of everything, I can figure the rest of it myself, I just need the defining and basic logic.
Thanks

Last edited on
What is "overloaded copy constructor"? Does it mean that you need to define some default arguments for your overloaded copy constructor?

Your example is incorrect. This definition

Child = new *init [10];

will issue an error because the type of allocated array is unknown. What are Child and init?!

Parent and Child are classes.
init would be the array that we use for the program, temp would be used for resizing. I know it is incorrect that is why I am asking how to do this - define and resize (copy).

Copy constructor is a constructor that accepts another object.

Class ob1("parametar");
Class ob2(ob1); //ob2=ob1
OOOOOhhh. OK, let's start from the beggining. In the first line of code, there are 2 errors. Really big ones!! First of all, you cant assign ANYTHING to a class. Second of all, arrays aren't types! So, switch the names
Child
and
init
to get init=new Child*[10]. Then, in the next snippet, you CAN'T use a constructor (ANY constructor!) on an already constructed object!!! I suggest this: http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/classes/
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.