Multiple AI opponents

I've been putting together a 2D side-scolling game using the Allegro 5 library. However, I've hit a wall with this, as I've suddenly realised I'm not really too sure how I would implement AI opponents that have the same behaviour, but behave differently under different conditions.

For example, say I wanted 5 AI opponents shooting at my character in one part of the level. How would I go about creating one section of code and using it to control the behaviour of each of these AI characters?

Thanks in advance!
Create a class for handling an opponent. You can then create an instance of the class for each opponent you want. Store the objects in a container so that you can easily loop through the opponents.
How would I create an instance dynamically for each individual enemy? I understand what you're saying, I just don't know how to go about doing it.
Something as simple as this usually works:

std::vector<ENEMY_CLASS*> EnemyArray;

for(int i = 0; i < NUMBER_OF_ENEMYS; ++i)
{
      ENEMY_CLASS* Enemy = new ENEMY_CLASS();
      EnemyArray.push_back(Enemy);
}

Obviously if your constructor took any arguments you would pass them in on Line 5. Also note that this is a vector or pointers to objects, so you will need to de-reference them when you use them.
I've never used a vector before, so this is probably going to sound really stupid, but how would I access and use the instances of the enemy class once they have been created?
Same way you would with an array. Or use the at() method. Or use an iterator.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.