Usage of mutator methods

Hi all!

I don't really know whether this is a "Beginner's question" but maybe it is ,..well, if so: sorry for that

Let's guess I have written a class which has private variables. In addition the class does have member functions which do require write/read access to those private variables.
I always thought that due to data encapsulation those variables should (always?) be accessed using mutator/accessor methods.

Now my question is:
Should I allow those member functions to gain direct write/read access to these private variables? Is it potentially more expensive to call the respective mutator/accessor methods even when they have been implicitly defined inline?

The reason for my question is, that sometimes code appears quite sloppy to me when using member variables within a member function in which they have not been declared. Well of course I could use "this" but that also sometimes seems to make code harder to read. So I wondered whether the use of mutator/accessor methods inside their own class is legitimite or even equal in performance when they are implicitly defined inline.

Personal preference. It is not more expensive if the methods are non-virtual and inline.

I'd use accessors/mutators if you intend the variables to be public or protected. If the variables are private and you would make the accessors/mutators private also, I would just access the variables directly instead of creating a zillion inline functions.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.