Run Tine Check Failure #2

Hi all,
As a newbie, I'm still teaching myself the C++ language, and having a bit of trouble finding exactly where my error is. The program builds just fine, It runs just fine, however, at the end of the run, when I exit the program I get the following error.

Run Tine Check Failure #2 - Stack around variable 'thirdball' was corrupted. 

and I cannot find where the error is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The part of my code wherein the error lies is:

if(userinput == 2)  // checks to see if a user inputed a set of numbers that has ever won the Megamoney lotto
        {
            cout<<"You have chosen to check if your set of numbers has ever won Megamoney Lotto."<<endl<<endl;

cout<<"Please enter the first number and press enter "<<endl<<endl;
            cin>>firstball;

cout<<"Please enter the second number and press enter "<<endl<<endl;
            cin>>secondball;

cout<<"Please enter the third number and press enter "<<endl<<endl;
            cin>>thirdball;

cout<<"Please enter the fourth number and press enter "<<endl<<endl;
            cin>>fourthball;

cout<<"Please enter the MegaBall and press enter "<<endl<<endl<<endl;
            cin>>megaball;

for(int i = 0; i < Vec_Count; i++)
            {
                if(Data[i].m_Powerball == megaball)
                {
                    if(Data[i].m_First == firstball || Data[i].m_First == secondball ||
                       Data[i].m_First == thirdball || Data[i].m_First == fourthball)

if(Data[i].m_Second == firstball || Data[i].m_Second == secondball ||
                       Data[i].m_Second == thirdball || Data[i].m_Second == fourthball)

if(Data[i].m_Third == firstball || Data[i].m_Third == secondball ||
                            Data[i].m_Third == thirdball || Data[i].m_Third == fourthball)

if(Data[i].m_Fourth == firstball || Data[i].m_Fourth == secondball ||
                                Data[i].m_Fourth == thirdball || Data[i].m_Fourth == fourthball)

{
                                        cout<<"Yes!! your chosen numbers won the lotto on: "

<<Data[i].m_Month<<" "<<Data[i].m_Day;
                                        if(Data[i].m_Year>12)
                                        cout<<" "<< Data[i].m_Year+1900<<endl<<endl;
                                        else
                                        cout<<" "<<Data[i].m_Year+2000<<endl<<endl<<endl;
                                        foundmatch=1;
                                        break;
                                    }
                }
            } // end for loop

if(!foundmatch)
                    cout<<"Sorry, those numbers you chose have NEVER won the lotto."<<endl<<endl;

foundmatch=0;  // reset foundmatch.  Note: it resets it independent of the preceeding if statement!
        } //end if (userinput==2)  
That often means you are indexing out of bounds in an array on the stack. Can we see the declaration of Data and Vec_Count?
Last edited on
Thanks rollie for your reply. My code is:

//===================== Begin user input 2 ==========================================================================

if(userinput == 2)  // checks to see if a user inputed set of numbers has ever won the Megamoney lotto
        {
            cout<<"You have chosen to check if your set of numbers has ever won Megamoney Lotto."<<endl<<endl;

cout<<"Please enter the first number and press enter "<<endl<<endl;
            cin>>firstball;

cout<<"Please enter the second number and press enter "<<endl<<endl;
            cin>>secondball;

cout<<"Please enter the third number and press enter "<<endl<<endl;
            cin>>thirdball;

cout<<"Please enter the fourth number and press enter "<<endl<<endl;
            cin>>fourthball;

cout<<"Please enter the MegaBall and press enter "<<endl<<endl<<endl;
            cin>>megaball;

for(int i=0;i<Vec_Count;i++)
            {
                if(Data[i].m_Powerball == megaball)
                {
                    if(Data[i].m_First == firstball || Data[i].m_First == secondball ||
                       Data[i].m_First == thirdball || Data[i].m_First == fourthball)

if(Data[i].m_Second == firstball || Data[i].m_Second == secondball ||
                       Data[i].m_Second == thirdball || Data[i].m_Second == fourthball)

if(Data[i].m_Third == firstball || Data[i].m_Third == secondball ||
                            Data[i].m_Third == thirdball || Data[i].m_Third == fourthball)

if(Data[i].m_Fourth == firstball || Data[i].m_Fourth == secondball ||
                                Data[i].m_Fourth == thirdball || Data[i].m_Fourth == fourthball)

{
                                        cout<<"Yes!! your chosen numbers won the lotto on: "

<<Data[i].m_Month<<" "<<Data[i].m_Day;
                                        if(Data[i].m_Year>12)
                                        cout<<" "<< Data[i].m_Year+1900<<endl<<endl;
                                        else
                                        cout<<" "<<Data[i].m_Year+2000<<endl<<endl<<endl;
                                        foundmatch=1;
                                        break;
                                    }
                }
            } // end for loop

if(!foundmatch)
                    cout<<"Sorry, those numbers you chose have NEVER won the lotto."<<endl<<endl;

foundmatch=0;  // reset foundmatch.  Note: it resets it independent of the preceeding if statement!
        } //end if (userinput==2)  

That new block doesn't show us where/how Data is being declared. Maybe farther up?
Sorry rollie, The code is:
// This part of the program deals only with MegaMoney Lottery

#include <stdio.h>        // printf
#include <ctype.h>        // isalpha isdigit, isspace etc
#include <iostream>        // cout, cin
#include <fstream>
#include <string>
#include <ios>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stddef.h>
#include <vector>

using namespace std;

class LotteryNumbers // creates a class called LotteryNumbers
 {
 public:

int m_Month;
     int m_Day;
     int m_Year;
     int m_First;
     int m_Second;
     int m_Third;
     int m_Fourth;
     int m_Powerball;

// constructor function
     LotteryNumbers ()
     {
         m_Month = 0;
         m_Day = 0;
         m_Year = 0;
         m_First = 0;
         m_Second = 0;
         m_Third = 0;
         m_Fourth = 0;
         m_Powerball = 0;
     } // close constructor
 }; // close class definition

#define FALSE 0
#define TRUE  1

int main()
{
    vector<LotteryNumbers> Data;  //instantiate an object of the LotteryNumbers class and call it Data.
                                  //Thus, Data is a vector of LotteryNumber Objects

vector<char> RawData;         //Create a vector of characters, call it RawData.  RawData will hold every single
                                  //character from the raw data file, so that the program can analzye them.

char mychar=' ';             //various variables used in the program
    int CharCount = 0;
    int Vec_Count = 0;
    char anykey='a';
    int userinput=0;
    int month_key=0;
    int day_key=0;
    int year_key=0;
    int foundmatch=0;
    int firstball=0;
    int secondball=0;
    int thirdball=0;
    int fourthball=0;
    int megaball=0;

int frequencies[45];  //an array which will be used to hold the number of times each number is picked.

for(int i = 0; i < 45; i++)
        frequencies[i]=0;

int megafreq[32];  //an array which will be used to hold the number of times each Megaball number is picked.

for(int i = 0; i < 32; i++)
        megafreq[i]=0;

//Opens Temp_Program for reading the file

ifstream a_file ( "C:\\tmci\\RawData.txt" );
          if (!a_file )
          {
            cout << "Can't open input file" << " RawData.txt " << endl << endl;
            cin.get();
            cin.ignore(1);
            exit(1);
          } // close ifstream

//================== The following is Loading RawData into a Vector (not an array)=================================

for( int i = 0; a_file; i++) //this loads every single character from RawData.txt into the vector of characters
                                 // named RawData. It also count the number of characters in the RawData file.
    {
        RawData.push_back(mychar);
        a_file >> RawData[i];
        CharCount++;
    }// end for loop to load in the Raw Data

//========================This ends Loading RawData into a Vector ==============================
//===============================================================================

for(int i=0;i<30;i++)
        RawData.push_back(mychar); //add these blanks at the end to avoid overrun when examing the vector

CharCount=CharCount+30;  //increment CharCount to account for the blanks we added at the end of the file  

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.