Is it worth me learning OpenGL?

Hello. I want to create a 3D game and I cant decide which path to take. I could learn OpenGl, write a 3D engine and then start my game programming but people have told me that it would take months or even years to do it that way. However, I could simply learn how to use a 3D engine (http://www.horde3d.org/home.html is the one I might use) which will take a fraction of the time, and allow me dive straight into the game programming, but that way I will not be learning a very valuable skill (3D graphics with OpenGL) and will have less control over the graphics side of things (Not too import, horde3D graphics look fine). What do you think I should do?
If you want my opinion, writing a 3D game engine from scratch when you don't even know 'simple' 3D programmign yet will be long and lead to a finished program with design flaws.
I would advise getting to know by the practice how a game engine and 3D works first by using one already existing, and then based on that experience, decide ifyou need/want to migrate to your own
If you want to create a 3D game then your best bet is to use one of the engines, such as Ogre3D or Horde.

Writing your own engine would drastically increase your overheads in terms of time when an existing engine probably houses all of the functionality you're going to need.
Try Panda 3D, it's VERY easy to learn and will give you an understanding of game programming.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.