How to reset preferences in Turbo C++ IDE?

Okay, So I was trying to customize the background color for the editor in Turbo C++ IDE by going through "Options-> Environment-> Colors-> Edit Windows" and I even saved the configuration by going through "options-> Save" but now I'm facing a big problem of similar colors in more than one elements.
Is there anyway to reset all configurations or preferences made?
Any support on this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Which version? Almost certainly the answer is going to be delete it completely and get something that doesn't have a 20 year old compiler.
Hey what do you mean by a 20 yr old computer? Couldn't get... Its windows 7 64bit... However if you know about any better Editor, you may let me know.
Its windows 7 64bit...
No it isn't. Pre version 4 is DOS and WIN16. Versions 4.5 - 5.2 are WIN32, mostly pre-STL, but the later version did come with an early version of Rogue Wave's STL.

If you can, get a newer environment. The language has evolved since then.
Hey what do you mean by a 20 yr old computer?

I didn't say that. I said compiler.

You have come to us with a problem with your outdated, buggy, horrifically old software. It would be remiss of us not to point out that you could get new, correct software that will actually let you code in C++, for free.

http://cplusplus.com/articles/Lz18T05o/
Hey, Moschops, if you asked a question would you like the kind of responses you have given?

The reality is that Turbo C++ is still widely used.

@Gautamk
All the compiler preferences are in a little text file that you can set to either roam with your projects or appear in the install directory. If I remember correctly, it has a name like "turbo.tp" or "turbo.tc" or something like that.

Find it, and rename it to something else (like "save.turbo.tp"), then run the IDE. If you found the right file your IDE will use the defaults and you can delete the renamed file.

You should try to get the old Borland manual for your compiler. (These days, you usually get a Help file of the manual with the compiler, but even if you didn't, if you can get the paper-bound book it is worth it.)

However, you really ought to download a modern compiler. The old Turbo C++ compilers are pre-standard C++, meaning that they do not properly support the current C++ standard. Unless you have some good reason to use it (like a requirement for school or work, for example, or working on old 16-bit systems, like DOS), you would be much better off getting something up-to-date. Check out this thread for good pointers:
http://www.cplusplus.com/articles/j8hv0pDG/

Good luck!
Hey, Moschops, if you asked a question would you like the kind of responses you have given?

Yes. I would. When I am using a bad tool for a job, and there exists a much better tool available for free, I would like someone to tell me. Whilst it was possible that this tool had been specifically chosen for platform compatibility, anyone able to make that choice is also able to work out how to reset the colours. I thus inferred that this is another case of someone grabbing the same tool as used at school, or finding a decade old tutorial and following it.
Last edited on
anyone able to make that choice is also able to work out how to reset the colours. I thus inferred [OP==loser]

This here is my problem: you have assumed something false and inferred something unjust. People have a hard enough time with modern tools; we constantly get questions about how to do things with them here. Documentation for outmoded software is less easy to come by. Does either the age or lack of resources for the software make his question less valid?

The inference is actually assumption, also, knowing nothing about the OP. His username alone indicates that he is probably in India, which is right now experiencing its technical revolution with computers... So yes, they are ten to twenty years behind us. Most IT firms, schools, and technical trades in India are stuck using old hardware and old software systems, like Turbo C++. Does this make his question less valid either?

Windows 7 runs old 16-bit software.

That said, I did kind of jump down your throat. Sorry about that.
And we end up with this kind of travesty:

http://solancer.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/turbo-c-on-ubuntu-using-dosbox.html

How to take a modern system, that either came with a modern compiler already installed, or can have one for the cost of thirty seconds with the package manager or at the command line, and convince it to run a twenty year old compiler so the student (who is paying a fortune for this education) can learn thirty year old pre-standard C++.
can learn thirty year old pre-standard C++.
With the introduction of C++11, all compilers are pre-standard.
Standard C++ came into existence in 1998 when the first standard (i.e. the ISO) was formalised. C++98 is the oldest standard C++.
Last edited on
You're clearly determined to convince someone to use your toolset because their existing one may be old. But they're all old, and will perpetually remain so because of the trend to update the language, so why bother?
so why bother?

Because when you apply for a job on the basis that you can write C++, they will expect that your understanding of C++ will not involve
void main (void)
and that you'll be able to use (or at least will be familiar) the many parts of C++ as defined in the standards.

will perpetually remain so because of the trend to update the language, so why bother?

This is true. When I hire, I am for many reasons happy for people to say "I'm really up on C++ 03/98, but to be honest some of the newer stuff in 11 I'm not familiar with." I am not happy with people who aren't even up on C++ 98.

I've no issue with old tools. I do have an issue with using bad tools, especially when far better tools exist at zero cost, and wilfully choosing to use bad tools with the knowledge that good tools exist is just silly.

When you go to the hospital, are you happy to be treated with leeches?
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.