Creating a GUI in Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express

I have run into a problem, i have watched countless youtube videos and forums but i can't find information about how to create the GUI i need.

I have created the GUI without code since it is the easy part but i have now been stuck on the same code for about 2 weeks without progress,

I have the form, button, textbox and listbox.
What i need to do is to write for example "apple" in the textbox, press the button so it gets added in the listbox.
So basicly a "shopping list".

The problem is that i can't find information on how to code the different items to work with my current projekt.

Thanks in advance
no one?
What do you plan to make your GUI with? Win32 API? Qt?
with the risk of sounding like a idiot but what is the difference?
with the risk of sounding like a idiot but what is the difference?

On a modern, consumer OS such as Windows, you draw on the screen essentially by asking the operating system to do it for you, through a set of functions provided by the operating system (commonly known as an API). One such set of functions, found on 32 (and now 64) bit Windows operating systems is known as the "Win 32 API".

The API provided by an OS tends to be quite low-level, and also (obviously) not cross-platform. The Win 32 API functions you would call simply do not exist on other operating systems.

Imagine, if you will, creating a set of your own functions and libraries that present the user a simplified set of functions, and those functions internally call the Win 32 API - they act as an intermediary. The user exchanges the power of directly using the Win 32 API (or similar) for the convenience of the easier set of functions. Qt (and many others like it) are this; a simplified set of functions and libraries to make it easier for you to draw on the screen.

This model of an intermediary set of functions also allows us to make your code cross-platform; on each platform, the QT library functions are the same. Internally, they call whatever functions are appropriate to the OS' provided API, so as long as the widget toolkit, as libraries like QT are called, exists for each target platform, your code is cross-platform.
Well to be honest i have no clue, but with the sound of it i am guessing it is Win 32 API.
Since i only started Microsoft visualls and pressed on GUI to get up what i need to do the task.

This program is for use with windows only and will basicly be a small and "simple" .exe file
Simple means don't use the Win32 APIs. Use a widget toolkit. They simplify things for you.
oh yeah my bad, i use the toolkit and thanks to the toolkit i was able to easily construct the visualls. Problem now is though to code the different parts to do what they are ment to do. Like coding the button to ad the stuff i write in the textbox to the listbox. And it is with the coding i am stuck
We're back to the start again. Which toolkit did you use?
i used the built in "toolbox" in Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express. I don't know if it is that you mean but i am guessing.
Sorry if i am a hassle but i am a noob at this
Basicly i am only using Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express and nothing else.
And since there is a template for GUI where i use the toolkit provided in the program to put the GUI together.

Allthough i get the looks right i need to induvidually code the different parts of the interface to make them work.
And just the coding is where i am having problems
Basicly i am only using Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express and nothing else.
And since there is a template for GUI where i use the toolkit provided in the program to put the GUI together.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express does not came with any GUI editor for C++ programming language. Only payed for version ship with a resource editor.

What you are using now most likely is a "windows forms application", which means it is not for C++ language, it is Microsoft C++/CLI propietary language. It have different syntax and rules compared with C++ programming language.
that is correct, i am using the "windows forms application" to create the GUI.

any tips on what else to use if it is not optimal?
only issue is that i have not tried creating a GUI with other programs
so no help for me here?
i have no other place to turn since i can find no help with which program to use or how to code it
Just search up QT tutorials on youtube. Itll be alot easyer than learning Win api plus it will make your program cross-platform
Sorry, id help you more but ive never actually made a GUI :p
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.