I have been stuck on pdcurses for days

This may be challenging.

I really, really need help on how to use pdcurses. I don't mean help with the code, but help with how to set it up on an IDE. I can use Code::Blocks, Visual C++, or NetBeans. I use MinGW.

To be more specific, I am trying to design a roguelike. Although I am a beginner to C++ I feel I am ready, so please do not critique my decision making. I just need help with external libraries, or whatever it is called when you have a header file and a lib file and need to link them to a project.

PDCurses is the library I have decided on. The three files, pdcurses.h, pdcurses.lib and pdcurses.dll are all here available here. http://pdcurses.sourceforge.net/

What I am asking for, exactly, is a step by step instruction (from the beginning) on what to do after I download the files. Although I mostly know what to do, it doesn't seem to work at all, so I am going to just start fresh. If it's not too much to ask for, please be specific.

Also, I have done a very large amount of searching (A VERY LARGE AMOUNT) and this is my final resort. I would like somebody to help me specifically, not a general guideline. But if you feel compelled to give me a tutorial, I will gladly look it over.

Please, please help me. I will be eternally grateful if you can. This is extremely important to me.
Last edited on
I'm going to assume that by "Visual Basic" you mean "Visual Studio", specifically "Visual C++". This is the first result I got when I Googled for "VC++ link lib":
http://www.kirupa.com/forum/showthread.php?273849-Studio-Visual-C-Adding-(-lib)-refrence!&p=2335924&viewfull=1#post2335924
Post #3 has a very detailed explanation of how to link to the library. After that, just #include the header and start coding ;)

At runtime, you only need your built EXE file and the DLL file to be in the same folder, the lib and header are no longer needed.
Last edited on
I already tried all of the things mentioned, including everything in the tutorial, but I did it again anyway and I still got the "identifier not found" error and the "'#include <curses.h>' skipped when looking for precompiled header use" warning.

what do you think is my problem, based on the error report?
Make sure you are starting a new Blank Project otherwise VC++ assumes you are using precompiled headers (which are causing your probems) along with some other unhelpful things.
That's probably what I've been doing wrong, I always select Win32 Console Application. Should I choose Win32 Project or Empty Project instead? I'm unfamiliar with working with an empty project.
Empty Project.

On the left you can right click on Source files folder in the tree and Add a new item, for instance "Main.cpp", and then start writing your program as usual in that file.
Last edited on
Thank you so much. SO MUCH. It's sad how long this took me, and how silly the mistake was. I have literally tried so hard for so long to figure this out, and that was my only problem. Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
A lot of people have the same problem - they assume the default settings will work. I'm glad I could help :)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.