starting visual C++ 2010 express

I am new to visual C++ 2010 express. I am trying to learn it on my own. I am not having a problem with the code yet. But,I am having a difficulty understanding the purpose for the solution explorer and the project selections. I have programmed in BASIC many years ago. And, I understand how to break a program down into modules and to use different files. The tutorials are just frustrating me. How is control from the main program transferred to the other files? And what are these new project selections for? Why would, I want to add to something in the solution explorer. When it would be simple to add a couple more lines of code?
I have programmed in BASIC many years ago.
Forget everything you learned. Really. This is a completely different programming model and trying to think of it in terms of programming BASIC isn't just unhelpful; it's actively harmful.

How is control from the main program transferred to the other files?
Control is passed across functions. By the time the program has been compiled and linked, the cpp files no longer exist.

And what are these new project selections for?
This is a common problem for starters; you're having to learn how to use your tools at the same time as learning C++. Ignore them until you need them (if ever - I haven't used anything other than a simple text editor for coding for years). All these project options and all that sort of thing are not part of C++. They're things your chosen IDE (Visual C++ 2010 Express) does.

Why would, I want to add to something in the solution explorer. When it would be simple to add a couple more lines of code?
If it's simpler to just add a few more lines, do that. When you're coding hundreds of thousands of lines of code spread across fifty programmers in three continents with a half-dozen source control methods, you'll need more organisation and more files.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.