Dynamic programming bits

Pages: 12
Hello.
I am coding a dynamic solution to a problem with buttons.
a button can be on or off. there are n buttons
so i thought of trying all possibilities of bits(1 or 0) of length n
for example for n=3
do you have any idea how i can iterate through all these for any n?
Thanks
what is the problem description?
its not just about this problem. i actually get this idea on many problems. but i never knew how to do it so i did something else. this is just an example.
well in that case, i think that could be a solution.
which? ;p i am asking for help on how to implement this
Last edited on
In case than you need an integer that represent what buttons are down and what are up, you can compute the number:
int i = a[0]*1 + a[1]*2 + a[2]*4 + a[3]*8 +...
This number is unique for every image of up-down buttons
the problem is to get the array a ;p i did what you said but it's impractical so i asked here to see if there is anything easier(with bitsets for example)
If we understand the same problem, a[j] have values 0-->>down or 1-->>up
think of it as having a n-bit binary number,

interate through each number from 0 to (2^n)-1, and at each iteration use the bit shift operator << and then AND that bit with 1 to print out whether or not a 1 or 0 is in that location.

in this manner you can have someone input a value for n and it will give you all the possible iterations. Though you can clearly see youll have 2^n iterations no matter what n you give
Last edited on
here, was fun
#include <iostream>
#include <math.h>

void printBinary(const unsigned char val, int n) {
  for(int i = n-1; i >= 0; i--)
    if(val & (1 << i))
      std::cout << "1";
    else
      std::cout << "0";
}

int main() {
  while(true){
    unsigned int getN;
    unsigned char a;
    std::cout<<"Please enter N number of buttons"<<std::endl;
    std::cin>>getN;
    int n = (int)pow(2, getN); 

for(int i = 0; i < n; i++){
      a = i;
      std::cout<<i<<": ";
      printBinary(a, getN);
      std::cout<<std::endl;
    }     
  }
}

though note: this only works up to n 8.. due to the fact that char only holds 8 bits.. but, im sure you can figure out a way to work beyond this ;)
Last edited on
closed account (zb0S216C)
gtm wrote:
"due to the fact that char only holds 8 bits.."

No. A byte can have any amount of bits so long as the byte can represent the value 255.

Wazzak
Last edited on
What.

1 byte = 8 bits

That's an assumption, not a fact. Not every system has an 8-bit byte.

Wazzak
bits: 10110011 = 8 bits = 179
Now I realize I am a newb here and to C++ and all but I have to respectfully disagree with you.

A byte is always 8 bits.

What changes system per system is how many bits represent certain types such as a char, integer, or float for instance.
Is 8 bits that can represent numbers form 0 to 255 with all posible compinations. Like 0-999 in normal numbers basis 10 represents 1,000 numbers with 3 decimal "bits"
gtm wrote:
"I realize I am a newb here and to C++"

That's why you're not understanding me. The C++ Standard formally states that the amount of bits "char" must represent is 8 at minimum (28). Therefore, any number of bits per byte is to be assumed. While 8 is usually the normal amount of bits that form a byte, this cannot be assumed as in some cases, this is purely implementation specific.

Wazzak
All that means is that a "char" is a minimum of 8 bits. This does not mean that any number of bits to a byte can be assumed.. it still holds true that 8 bits is a byte.. youre getting confused.. a char is not explicitly a byte, nor vice versa. So on one system say a char is made up of 12 bits. This does NOT mean that there are 12 bits to a byte.
All that means is that a "char" is a minimum of 8 bits.

standard wrote:
1.7 The C++ memory model [intro.memory]
The fundamental storage unit in the C++ memory model is the byte. A byte is at least large enough to contain any member of the basic execution character set (2.3) and the eight-bit code units of the Unicode UTF-8 encoding form and is composed of a contiguous sequence of bits, the number of which is implementation defined.

Clearly, a byte is not restricted to an octet.
Pages: 12