Confused with recursive functions

Task:
- Problem: Take two non-negative integers and return their product (the result of multiplying the two together).
- The function header should be `int timeser(int x, int y)`
- Restrictions: You are allowed to use anything that `adder` was allowed to use, and also allowed to use `adder` (and of course, `timeser` itself)

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int adder(int x, int y)//adder
{
	if(x==0)
		return y;
	else if(y==0)
		return x;
	else
		return adder(--x,++y);
}
int timeser(int x,int y)//multiplier
{
	if(x==0||y==0)
		return 0;
	else if(y==1)
		return x;
	else if (x==1)
		return y;
	else 
		return timeser(--y,adder(x));
}
int main()
{
	int x,y;
	cout<<"Enter two integers: ";
	cin>>x>>y;
	cout<<timeser(adder(x,y));
	return 0;
}

I just started the recursive section and do not understand much of it.. so obviously practice makes perfect but i need help to learn how to perfect it. Could you help me solve and explain it?
I am not sure about what you are trying to do exactly.
adder(x,y) should return x+y? In that case why you return adder(--x, ++y)?
(it is correct and produces a sum of x,y using recursivity, but it seems a bit expensive).
Or adder(x,y) is a part of the assignment and you must use it in someway to make product?

(timeser is a quite confusing name for the function, try something more focused - multiply??)

note: (in line 21): adder(x) is an error... adder requires two parameters.
Last edited on
- Why are you only passing one argument to "adder" on line 21?
however probably the solution is replacing line 21 (in function timeser) with:

return adder(x, timeser(x, --y));

becouse you can see x * y = x + (x * (y-1));

example: 5 * 5 = 5 + (5 * 4) = 25

in this way you will produce recursively:

5*5 = 5 + (5*4) = 5+5+ (5 *3) = 5+5+5+ (5*2) = 5 + 5 + 5 +5 + (5*1)

(not tested but should work... let me know if it works or not)

edit: in main: line 28: there is an error; Try to focus why and how to fix it.
Last edited on
I forgot to define my restrictions

- Restrictions: You are allowed to use anything that `adder` was allowed to use, and also allowed to use `adder` (and of course, `timeser` itself)

I readed restrictions before posting and it seems to me that restrictions are respected.
You use infact adder(x, y) and timeser(x, y) and decrement y (no use of operands, loops or other things)

It seems to me that suits: use only restrictions in adder (it means: don't use operands, but allowed to use increment / decrement, don't use loops like for, etc etc) and use adder and timeser if needed.

If you see anything restricted please explain.

NOTE: this is the only solution possible I could find that use adder (if it is defined so you are expecting to use it) and only in a recursive way. (infact a multiply is a recursion of sum of the same value for n times).

EDIT: your link is confirming that also other users before me gave you the same answer I am giving to you so I am not wrong (note: I didn't know the existance of that post and I had not see the others answers before replying you).
Last edited on
Thank you for your help! i fixed the error that was being produced!
@Nobun
its fine! Thank you for your help all answers helped me understand recursive functions much better.
Note a thing (probably you see it but I will underline it)...
when you use recursivity you need a stop-case-recursivity management.

in case of adder stop-case is x==0 (you decrement x until reach 0. when it is 0 it encounters the case where adder returns a fixed value).

the same for the timeser... in that case the stop case is y == 1 (you will multiply until y in adder(x, timeser(x, --y) is decremented to 1 -> then returns a fixed value).

Other cases (y == 0 for sum) and (x==1, x==0, y==0) have only the objective to manage special cases to avoid possible errors but not provide an actual stop-case (becouse adder recursively subtract x and timeser recursively subtract y).

Hope I explained clearly
Last edited on
Yes, you did. That helped me very much. Thank you!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.