advice on file i/0 please

hi, so im reading in binary numbers from a text file in c++.
So the first line of binary numbers go like this: 1100000000000000
so i use a string array to store these numbers and it is stored exactly as it is read i.e. 1100000000000000
what i would like to do is read it as it is but then store it in a integer array ; for example my
int a[1] would be , a[1] = {1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0} and then a[2] would be my second line from my file how do i implement this?
i hope you guys get what im trying to say. [english isnt my primary language lol!]
thanks alot!
Last edited on
Maybe what you're looking for is an std::bitset.

std::bitset<10> b(string);

You can then access each bit by typing b[x].
i am not very familiar with that considering im only a beginner, could you explain to me how that works? i want to be able to work with those numbers later, will bitsets allow me to do that?
thanks for your reply btw!
Last edited on
Well okay then, let's not use std::bitset and instead do what you say. We store the data in an int array.

You read the binary numbers not into a
string array
, but into a string:

std::string binaries;
// Now you load the data from a file, into this string, it contains 1 line. 

Now you have a string containing a sequence of 0's and 1's, and you want them to be part of an int array.

int *ptr = new int[binaries.size()] // A dynamic array, the size of the loaded string.
for (int i = 0; i < binaries.size(); ++i) // Every item is copied to the int array.
{
    ptr[i] = ((binaries[i] == '1') ? 1:0); // if the char is '1', then int 1 will be put into ptr[i], else 0 will be put into that element.
}
// Now you can access each element like so:
int num = ptr[3];

Remember to call delete [] ptr; after you're done using ptr..
Last edited on
@Bourgond Aries thanks i found out how to use bitsets thanks for your help!
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.