Programming jobs

I was wondering if i learn C++ would i be able to get a programming job without a college degree? I want to get into the computer programming field and i plan to spend most of my time learning and trying to get myself out there in order to land a computer programming job. I was wondering where i should look and what i should be learning in order to get a computer programming job which will pay atleast 35000 a year. Any help would be appreciated.
It will probably be harder, but I would think (if it was me) that they (the employers) would look at a portfolio of work if you didn't have a degree. I think, and I could be wrong, that as long as you prove you have the skills, it should not matter.
start reading "C++ by Ray Lischner or Object Oriented Programming by E Balagurusamy"

both books are awesome they explain from very basic. and about Job thing, I dont know. Sorry.

Good Luck,
Raj
My experience is that you will have a hard time getting in the door as a programmer. You might have better luck aiming at writing tools, testing, etc, and then work your way into programming. I have had several colleagues go this route, whereas I know of no programmers who were hired into a programming position without at least a BS degree.

What makes matters worse (at least in the US) is the economy -- there is a spate of programmers (who have degrees) out of work right now and you'll be competing with all of them for the few jobs available. Mid to large-size companies will have a recruiter pre-screen the resumes and prune before anyone even speaks to the potential candidate.

Perhaps a smaller company or a company looking for a bargain (no degree == we can pay you less) might be interested.

Hi, I have a CS BS degree and am learning C++ currently (all my experience is in Ada). My son went to college for 3 years and did not get his degree but is working as a software engineer. Here is how he got his start:

If you live in a large town put together a resume (even if you don't have any programming experience). Find a "Contracting House" in your town. You can look at www.ceweekly.com to find the name, address, and phone number for any contract house in your area. Physically go to the Contract House and talk (face to face) with a recruiter. Let him/her know you have C++ programming skill but no professional experience. Let the recruiter know you'd like to get a chance at a programming job. Bath, deodorant, haircut, clean shaven, cover tattoos, loose the piecings, and Smile. Larger contract houses have in-house programmers and if they have an immediate need for tester, coder they'll hire you.
Last edited on
I would agree with some of these answers, whatever you would like.
But, I suggest you make some type of very impressive C++ program, the more the better, and give him a sample of whatever you brought (whether it be a game demo or any other program), and remember, the better/more impressive it is, the larger your chance of getting a job is.

Definitely get a book on C++, it would help a lot to get certified too.
Make sure you get certified by a VERY well-known company, too.
Go to Microsoft -> beat up an employee -> steal his badge -> do a month's work there -> put on resume -> get job somewhere else.
lol at chrisname

Well if I know anything about job hiring, if the programmer was extensively skilled in what the job required, having no degree would not really matter since he is able to perform the job well.

Also, you don't have to join a company to make a living off of programming. Spend your time making high-level programs and sell them. Maybe make apps for the Ipod Touch?
Make some really useful shareware
Make it bugridden
Only technical support is a premium line with 2hr holds at 80p per minute
???
Profit

I suggested this method to Microsoft. Recently it's become apparent that they've got as far as the second step.
And where would Adobe be without me? 'if you release the same thing over and over again with a new name, people will buy it - it works for nvidia', and now they're on CS4!
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.