C++ Jobs

I have been studying c++ in my uni for 2 years now, in various subjects, from Security, Databases, Systems development etc. I saw in google search C++ is ranked in the middle or bottom in jobs listing while Java on top of the list. I am wondering on my job prospect, now, is C++ this bad or if not which fields require C++ programming? How can I increase my prospect of C++ jobs?

You should view C\C++ as tools, not career paths. If it turns out to be the correct tool to get a certain job done then it will usually be used*. Otherwise people will tend to take the path of least resistance. If you see jobs in your area that require you to know Java, then learn Java. Your time learning C++ wasn't wasted anymore then the time you spent learning how to use a saw was.

*: Because of the amount of overlap between languages given certain tasks this will not always be the case.
The best thing you can do is to keep learning. Get as many languages under your belt as possible. You might find a job using C++ but then, after learning JAVA, find that you can get a JAVA job that pays much more. While jumping from job to job can be bad, in this line of work it is considered experience. Now if you take 1 C++ job and make many lateral moves to other C++ jobs that would be bad. If you take C++ job and then a JAVA job and then something in Python and so on you not only show your knowledge of languages but also your experience in the real world.
The good new is once you get your degree don't keep going back to college to learn the other languages. You have proven the ability to "stick" with it and in a tie breaker situation you can win with your degree. The truth is that there are other ways to get training in these languages and they don't take years to complete.
Keep learning. If you see a movement in the language that is most needed.... learn it. You'll be happier in the end.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.