• Forum
  • Jobs
  • estimate wanted for Compile of program

estimate wanted for Compile of program

This should be a fairly simply job. I want the AI program N.I.C.O.L.E. compiled to run on windows.

How much would you charge to compile the program so that I can run it on my windows vista machine? I have only basic computer skills, and would need it to run either out of the box, or after an install and/or some simple setting up (with detailed instructions).

N.I.C.O.L.E. - "Nearly Intelligent Computer Operated Language Examiner" - NICOLE is a theory or experiment that if a computer is given enough combinations of how words, phrases and sentences are related to one another, it could talk back to you.

N.I.C.O.L.E. can be found here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nicole/

N.I.C.O.L.E. was written in C++ for linux, and I really want to talk to her.

Thank you for your estimates.
Ok.

It's designed for POSIX OS's apparently. So you could download Cygwin and try to compile it under that. That would be a good first attempt.

If that fails, then it'd have to be a re-write of linux specific sections of code to make it Win32 compatible.
Thank Zaita,
If I read it right (probly not), Cygwin is a linux emulater for window? I have fidora installed in a VM already. I have also tryed to put this program together in suse, fidora, DSL embedded, and gentoo. I still have DLS embedded on a flash drive, very handy.

But my linux skills are well below noob. I have readed a linux beginners tutorial, and I followed the instrustions in N.I.C.O.L.E. Still now luck getting her to talk to me.

Now I would like to hire some 1 to do it for me. I am sure it is not a difficult task for some1 with the right skills.
You do realize the project hasn't been updated in 7 years.

Most of the Linux libraries used to develop it are probably no longer backwards compatible. If you wanted to try it under Linux, I'd suggest a distro from about 2001 (maybe something like Slackware 7 or Redhat 7.2)
Thank your Zaita. I know its old, but it still sound like fun. Hadnt thot about using an old distro. Thanks for the idea, Ill try it out.
Hi Cerbitos,

amount of effort in porting can vary a lot.
You cannot tell until you have spent time looking
at code and trying.
I would take a risk and try porting it to Windows
if you can pay $2000 in case of success.
And, it will likely be porting to cygwin.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.