• Forum
  • Jobs
  • Expression of Interest - Software Engine

Expression of Interest - Software Engineer (up to 5 positions available)

Expression of Interest - Software Engineer (up to 5 positions available)
Rio Tinto Centre for Mine Automation
Australian Centre for Field Robotics
The University of Sydney
Reference No. 144361

The Australian Centre for Field Robotics (ACFR) at the University of Sydney has established a major new Centre for Mine Automation. Rio Tinto, a global mining company, has committed $21m of funding for an initial period of five years for this new Centre. The aim of the Rio Tinto Centre for Mine Automation (RTCMA) is to develop and implement the vision of a fully autonomous, remotely operated mine. For more information please visit: http://www.usyd.edu.au/CMA

The RTCMA was commissioned in August 2007. Since its launch, a world class research and technical team of more than 20 talented Engineers have joined. These individuals, from locations spanning 6 continents, are involved in the research, development and deployment of technology for a fully autonomous, remotely operated mine.

We are seeking motivated and capable Software Engineers to develop, build and field a range of exciting robotics technologies in the mining domain. You will possess strong technical skills in object oriented software design. You will also have experience and knowledge of Software Development Lifecycle methodologies. You will have strong programming skills including experience with the C++ programming language and use of code management methods.

In addition, experience in one or more of the following areas is considered advantageous:

• Interfacing to sensors such as imaging devices, lasers, encoders or GPS.
• Development of real-time software implemented on multiple operating systems such as Windows, Linux or QNX Neutrino.
• Strong skills in networking / communication including development and use of middleware.
• Development of large-scale visualisation and data base software.

An ability or demonstrated ability to solve problems "in the field" and troubleshooting will be an advantage.

Software Engineer appointments will be made at levels HEO 6, HEO 7 and HEO 8. HEO 6 candidates will have a tertiary degree in computer science or electrical/mechatronic engineering with a demonstrated ability and competence in relevant areas of interest to the Centre. HEO 7 candidates will possess the above, as well as a minimum of three years’ experience in relevant areas of interest to the Centre. HEO 8 candidates will have equivalent technical capabilities as HEO 7, as well as relevant experience in project management.

Remuneration package: a competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience will be negotiated with the successful candidates.

This is a long-term recruitment drive, and the expression of interest will remain open until all positions have been filled. Visa sponsorship will be available for the successful appointees if required.

For more information and to apply, please visit http://www.usyd.edu.au/CMA/cplus

Specific enquiries about the role can be directed to Fang Zhou on (+61 2) 9036 7292 or by email: f.zhou@usyd.edu.au
Emailed :)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.