need to build a portfolio?

so i just recently finished my Asso. in computer programming. from what i have heard potential employers want to see previous work you have done. Well i can write 'hello world' in six programming languages, lol. i do know more than that ofcourse but the point is that even with a degree i feel like i dont have any REAL work. something that really shows skill and teamwork. at the same time i dont feel i am proficient with any languages past simple object orientaion. this is why i dont want to join a open source project.

So basicly i am asking how to make something that can go into a portfolio.thanks to all that apply.

<also I just counted and i have at least dabbled in 11 languages :P >
Depends on what work you want to go into. If you are interested in the games industry, for example, you could make a few games, or start or join an indie game group.
I actually want to do computer security( network and host) programming but I am open and willing to try anything really.

out of curiosity... how are people in open source projects as far as working with people new to the community and who never worked on one before. i would like to join one but i don't want to be the cause of slowing down a project and have everyone upset. it's a bad way of making a first impression.
From what I've seen when looking at job requirements, most places want a BS in CS or related field, AND x years of experience (job or personal).

Basically anymore, an associates will get you as far as you can throw it.
So in all likelihood, i might not even be looked at until i get a BS in computer programming? that sucks.... can i ask what is something you have done in the past to get an employers attention?(preferably if it worked :P)
Depends on how big the employer is. If it's big enough, they have an HR department with no technical knowledge you have to get through. Without a BS or BA, you'll likely not make it past that.

Once technical people are looking at your resume, they want to see actual work of yours. A website you set up with all your projects. Links to open source projects you've contributed to. I've actually had one guy tell me he likes to look at applicants stackoverflow accounts to see how they act online.

Pretty much you just have to show you are involved and do work on your own. This isn't a field where you can just sit back, get some education, and then get a job. You have to actually have something tangible you can show off.
i totally understand. which is why i am looking for something to do. what is the best site for joining open source projects for someone just getting into it?
Sourceforge.com
ok cool. I joined and found the "Help Wanted area". One of the project names is "Tutorials". is this part of the site? thanks for the help by the way.

there isn't much to choose from. most of it is translations into other languages...
Last edited on
Hmm I've never seen this help wanted area before. I just browse topics that sound interesting and look for new projects. Or make my own and hope someone joins in :)
any other good sites. i cant seem to find anything on sourceforge.

also, making a game kinda sounds fun. i actually wouldn't mind starting a group to discuss making a game together. i would be completely new to it though :/

how easy is it to get a decent group together to make a game?
Well, you have to have an idea generally. Something to attract people. And probably some actual work done, or else people think it's going to just fizzle out and die
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.