Hey there! Allow us to introduce ourselves. We are Expensify and we do expense reports (Google "expensify" to read more.) We're getting crushed under an ever-growing pile of super awesome work, and I need one bright student to help us dig our way out. I can guarantee you fun, an amazing opportunity to learn...
But only if you are all of the following:
- An incredibly hard worker, even when it's not so fun. There is a ton of work to do. After all — we do the work so our customers won't need to. I need you to buck up and grind through server logs, user emails, source code, and bug reports, without complaint or supervision, and come back asking for more.
- A cool person to be with...just someone we can trust, rely upon, hang out with, bounce ideas off of, and generally interact with in a positive way, both personally and professionally. Every year we take the company overseas for a month (on your own dime, sorry) and work incredibly hard while having a ton of fun. We've done Thailand, Mexico, India, Turkey, and the Philippines (with an approaching super-typhoon, no less). Where do you want to go next?
- Super talented, in a general way. We're going to throw a ton of work at you of every possible sort, and you need that magic skill of being able to figure it out even if you have no idea where to start. On any given day you might bounce between super low-level coding, super high-level technical support, marketing-driven datamining, updating our user documentation, inventing/designing/building some new feature, etc. This is not a code monkey job — you're going to be a full participant in the process, and you need to bring your own unique blend of skills to the table.
And there are a bunch more, but odds are if you got this far, nothing I can do would stop you from applying. That's a problem because while I know *you* are awesome, it's actually really hard and time consuming to find you in the midst of the literally hundreds of other applications I get from everyone else. So this is where I'm going to ask my first favor: can you make it really easy and obvious how great you are, so I don't accidentally overlook you?
There are probably many ways to do that. But the easiest way is to help me out by answering the following questions:
1. What's the URL of your website? If you don't have one, why not?
2. What's your coding history? When did you start, and what have you done between then and now?
3. What do you want to do with the rest of your life, and how is Expensify a step toward your long-term goals?
4. Tell us where you heard about this opportunity.
That's it. Email your answers to email@example.com.
We are genuinely excited to hear from you!