Portfolio Projects

I have realised that a person under the age of 18 is unable to acquire a job easily, and many people wanting "teen jobs" are often told to rather build their portfolio. So here is my question, I have been programming in C++ for roughly 2 years and python for 4 years before that, I primarily program solutions to algorithmic contest problems and would like to start developing a portfolio, what projects would you guys recommend.

Note: I think I would typically enjoy doing more "back-end" work, i.e. I dislike working with graphics libs, GUIs and the likes.
closed account (G309216C)
I already got reference from Microsoft because I reported few security vulnerabilities.

This is one choice but this is hard as well. I suggest working with Open-Source Projects or make a good project on your own and release it in public. That's what I am going to do to gain few more portfolio. Or be a notable programmer in a Open Source Project.

GL
Open source software and I do not get along well. I do not think I am experienced enough to be of much value to any OSS Project.

Space Worm wrote:
make a good project on your own and release it in public

That is my question, what projects should I make to put into my portfolio.

closed account (3qX21hU5)
One project I have been having a lot of fun with lately is building a "BOT" for my puzzle game I am making.

As of right now I am just getting the hang of what it involves by building a Visual Based BOT for simple online flash games (Grabs certain pixels of the screen and uses their values in the BOT's logic to determine what it should do).

Personally I am doing this in Python but I'm sure it can be done in C++ with some extra code. It would also be a useful tool if you are into game development since a BOT doesn't get tired of playing a single part of the game over and over for hours.

But really what you want in your portfolio is best decided by you. What do you like doing? What are you the best at in programming? The stuff in your portfolio should be complete programs or at least a mini program that is fully functional. Also try and include different aspects in your portfolio so employers know you can do different types of programming.
@Zereo That sounds fun, what library are you using to get the pixels from the screen. Also, if you do not mind sharing, what games are you testing it with?

Zereo wrote:
What do you like doing? What are you the best at in programming? Also try and include different aspects in your portfolio so employers know you can do different types of programming.

That is my problem, I have never programmed much outside algorithmic solutions. What types of programming are there?

Any other suggestions?
closed account (3qX21hU5)
what library are you using to get the pixels from the screen.

I am quite new to Python (Only been using it for a couple weeks) but the best I have found is PIL (Python Imaging Library) with ImageGrab to get the pixels and screenshots.

I'm also using PyWin and Numpy for other things in the project.

Also, if you do not mind sharing, what games are you testing it with?

Well as of right now I have only made ones that are personalized for a certain game, though I am working on a General Suite of tools and a program that combines them that makes the task easier.

It is hard to make a general bot that could be used on any Game because each games logic is different. But what I am planning on doing after I get more experience in the field is making a program like Auto It (I think that is what it is called) that can be used to automate work tasks and other things.

But anyways I have been testing them on just basic flash games on sites like MiniClip and Newgrounds. Nothing multiplayer since I don't want to break any Terms of Service or anything.

EDIT: Almost forgot, here is a tutorial I found that actually got me started on this type of thing. It is pretty straight forward and taught me what I needed to know to get started. So if you interested in it I would recommend checking it out.

http://active.tutsplus.com/tutorials/workflow/how-to-build-a-python-bot-that-can-play-web-games/

Last edited on
@Zereo Thank you, I will try it out.
Do you or anyone else have any more suggestions?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.