Software Defined Radio (SDR)

closed account (z05DSL3A)
Recently I have been coming across various things that end up coming down to using some aspect of SDR. It all looks kind of interesting stuff, telemetry of weather balloons, packet capture of various Wi-Fi technologies, etc. I did a bit of research…

So my idea is to find a DVB-T USB stick with a Realtek RTL2832U in it to use as a wide-band SDR receiver (I think I have found one on Amazon, I’ll find out when I buy it). Plug this into one of my Raspberry Pis, Modify/write drivers as needed to allow the Pi to tune and sample the radio, streaming to the digitised signal over my network. For my computer, write some software to controls and analyse the data from the Pi.

Why am I posting this? As I have said I have done some research and there is a lot of stuff out there. I basically need to narrow things down a bit. If there are standards that I can use to make the software more general (I have come across the Software Communications Architecture (SCA) in passing). What legal aspects I might run into. Terminology I should learn (makes it easier to ask questions)…so does anyone have experience in this field that they are willing to share?
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.