Everyday life of a programmer questions

I'm just currently a student so these are my questions:

1. If your current job is to make a program for business, is it a console or gui apps? or if both, what is the most?

2. What is the often type of application do you guys make? (i.e PC 2D Game, PC 3D Game, Mobile 2D Game, Mobile 3D Game, Business apps, Science or Mathematical thingy apps, others)

3. Could you please tell me the details of what's going on everyday? Do you code every second (except for break time)? or are you just sitting there waiting for the boss or whatever to ask you or your team to make the following program? Is there a day passed by without doing anything?

Include what you want :)
When is the last time you used professionally written software that used the console?
1. The applications I write don't have a GUI. They typically don't run attached to a console either, except maybe during initial debugging. Depending on the job I did, their inputs may be signals from sensors (e.g. direct TTL input from a battery of OPTO-22 switches), serial, UDP or TCP data, tables from a database, data files, etc, and their outputs may be signals to motors and other hardware, update statements to databases, writes to files, ports, or network.

2. Business apps, Science or Mathematical thingy apps, others

Do you code every second (except for break time)?

No, although there have been a few crunch times when I had to code "every second" (no break time, through the night, with high-ranking managers supplying coffee and pizza). Maybe a day every five years on average.

Is there a day passed by without doing anything?

Not really, although there have been kickback days (especially when I worked for a smaller company) when I could finally pay attention to all those old low-priority tasks or update the non-essential documentation.

are you just sitting there waiting for the boss or whatever to ask you or your team to make the following program?

New projects don't start every day, and don't come to hard deadlines every day either. Daily job is to look at your open tickets/tasks/requests/whatever the company calls them and work on whatever has the highest priority.

Your mileage may vary, by a very wide margin. For example, all the jobs I had for the last 10 years, have me 24/7 on-call, so there's always the chance that I would have to log in at 4 am from a resort hotel to fix something (done that many times actually).. Depending on where you work, this may never be a part of your everyday life.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
1. If your current job is to make a program for business, is it a console or gui apps? or if both, what is the most?

I haven't produced any real business apps but I have done some minor programs for the company I work for as a side job. So I have limited experience here but I will answer it anyway.

You will need a GUI 99% of the time. Plain and simple. Depending on what type of program you are writing most of the users of that software won't be that technical and even if they are in a business atmosphere a GUI just look better then a console and gives you much more options.

The console isn't the best interface between the program and the user. Most likely all you will be using the console for is debugging and even most of that will go into log files.

2. What is the often type of application do you guys make? (i.e PC 2D Game, PC 3D Game, Mobile 2D Game, Mobile 3D Game, Business apps, Science or Mathematical thingy apps, others)

Can't really answer this one because I don't have much professional experience.

3. Could you please tell me the details of what's going on everyday? Do you code every second (except for break time)? or are you just sitting there waiting for the boss or whatever to ask you or your team to make the following program? Is there a day passed by without doing anything?

Same as above. Still looking for that job in programming.
Last edited on
Thanks! I appreciate your answers guys.
AlitCandle wrote:
When is the last time you used professionally written software that used the console?

There might not be much in terms of programs where the users interact with a text based terminal, however there are many professionally made programs that use them to either get started, or to do background tasks. I've seen many high-end games start in a console for a couple seconds before they call their own GUI.

Edit:
Actually, now that I think of it, there are still lots of companies that use text based terminals for PoS systems.
Last edited on
If your current job is to make a program for business, is it a console or gui apps? or if both, what is the most?

Most of my work is researched-based, so only half of the applications I've developed have a GUI. When not working on the main application for our lab (which does have a GUI) I'm whipping up various console applications for generating/parsing/transforming data. Since all of the software is for use within our team, it doesn't need to look pretty, even though it is "professionally-written" (in the context of the current discussion.)

What is the often type of application do you guys make?

Utility. Since the output of my job is based solely on what information we gather, and not a particular piece of software (sprints are based on software, but they lead to our goal of information), most of my programming is spent on tiny apps that serve a specific purpose. There are only 2 or 3 pieces of software that are relatively significant and can be considered outside the realm of utility; they fall under "Science or Mathematical thingy apps".

Could you please tell me the details of what's going on everyday?
When we're not in a sprint review, I spend a decent chunk of my time programming with the rest of the team in group pomodoro sessions. Our sprints tend to keep us all on track and give us all something to do, so that we never end up "just sitting there waiting for the boss or whatever". During our breaks we talk about Starcraft, anime, ask each other for help, etc. We're a small team that works closely together (figuratively and literally) and we're self-driven outside of our sprint goals.

Today.

The Microsoft Visual C++ compiler is a professionally written app which uses the console for i/o.

I do generally invoke it through th VIsual Studio IDE, but not always.

Andy
Last edited on

Almost everyday. We use an NMS that runs on a linux server that has many command line utilities. Sure it has a Web UI front end, but there's many tasks that either aren't possible through the UI or aren't recommended. Software written for IT folk will very likely have a command line interface that will be expected to be used. It's just easier a lot of the times.
I rarely write console apps, even when working for a company (two months employed).
I prefer to write GUI appss, and usually your boss thinks they are better anyways (easier to navigate).

Basically every question you asked happens to be job specific;

1) Depends on what your program is used for.
2) Really is job specific, you might as well ask what type of programming you do (Game, Scientific, etc).
3) Once again, some jobs are more demanding; On a time crunch. Though usually you have a break.

Though I never worked in an office, only online, and with a team (group project).
I never did anything face-to-face with an employer, and I don't have much experience with online GPs.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.