C++14

Pages: 12
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
Is c++14 gonna be the new standard?
Seems like it.
I hope they add an std::bignum and memory mapped files.
I also hope they don't add Concepts.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
a standardized version of boost::any would be nice
C++14 left the committee back in May, in form of n3690, so we already know what's in it. Both GCC and Clang are busy implementing.
C++17 is where the next additions can happen.
Last edited on
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
Thanks guys ...i just heard of it now :D
C++14? Oh, now are we going to be revising the standard more frequently than once a decade?
closed account (N36fSL3A)
And VC++ sits alone without even implementing 11.
'micrasoft

That's not true, although I have to say I'm disappointed with VS 2012, and even more so by the fact that they're getting ready to release VS 2013. This upcoming version shouldn't exist, it should have been a service pack, in my opinion.
Fredbill30 wrote:
DTSCode wrote:
'micrasoft

"I don't know what I'm talking about, but look! My post count just keeps getting higher and higher! Snarfle!"

The signal to noise ratio in the lounge gets lower and lower.. Buck the trend.

That's not true, although I have to say I'm disappointed with VS 2012, and even more so by the fact that they're getting ready to release VS 2013. This upcoming version shouldn't exist, it should have been a service pack, in my opinion.

They changed the way they're doing things. Lot of opinions floating around because of it. I found the "faq" section interesting at the bottom of:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2013/06/28/c-11-14-stl-features-fixes-and-breaking-changes-in-vs-2013.aspx

I don't SNARFLE.(wtf is that anyway)

They didn't fully implement.
cire doesnt like that im posting nonsense in the lounge... i dont really care what my post count is. it has no effect on the kind of code i produce (although it was fun seeing 1212 as my post count)

edit:
and cire you shouldnt either. its been proven multiple times across multiple forums that post count has nothing to do with skill, talent, machurity, time on the site, etc.
Last edited on
I don't SNARFLE.(wtf is that anyway)

i believe thats what they call snarfs children from the lion cats ( was that the name of the show )

EDIT:it was thunder cats, my bad
Last edited on
closed account (3qX21hU5)
For all those that didn't want to scroll through to the Q&A.

Q2: Fair enough, but you mentioned "C++14 generic lambdas" earlier. Why is your compiler team planning to implement any C++14 Core Language features before finishing all C++11 Core Language features?

A2: As Herb likes to say, "C++14 completes C++11". The compiler team is pursuing full C++14 conformance, and views all C++11 and C++14 features as a unified bucket of work items. They're prioritizing these features according to customer demand (including library demand) and implementation cost, so they can deliver the most valuable features as soon as possible. The priority of a feature isn't affected by when it was voted into the Working Paper. As a result, their post-2013-RTM conformance roadmap places highly valuable C++14 features (e.g. generic lambdas) before less valuable C++11 features (e.g. attributes). Again, please see Herb's announcement video/post for more information.

Compiler development is a pain in the ass from what I have seen. So whenever I am about to bitch and moan about VS not being fully C++11 compatible I force myself to remember that compiler development is no walk in the park. I and probably most member on this forum probably couldn't produce even one of them compiler features, so I don't think we really have the right to complain about other people not producing all these features (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B11). That is my opinion at least.
I and probably most member on this forum probably couldn't produce even one of them compiler features, so I don't think we really have the right to complain about other people not producing all these features

I disagree. As users we have every right to complain when a piece of software sucks and to let others know what we think, especially the developers of said software.

As a bad analogy, you probably can't make your own house either but you can and should complain about bad architecture and design. And not being constructed in time.
gcc does it perfectly fine
There is a difference between letting the developers know that you would like a certain feature in their software and using them as a punching bag ;p. I'm not saying anyone here is complaining about it, I just tend to see a lot of whining when it comes to VS and C++11 (Mainly people saying that the VS dev team must suck which is where my previous post came from)

Basically what I mean is yes you have the right to complain about not having features in a software you use (Though generally its better to give polite suggestions/constructive criticism in my opinion), but if you started saying the the dev team sucks for not being able to produce full C++11 compliance then that is being a bit hypocritical in my opinion because most programmers couldn't do what they do (Again not saying anyone here is saying that)

gcc does it perfectly fine

I hardly see how that is relevant. Development teams are different specially in compiler development. They prioritize different things as they see fit and some are better then others just as in anything.
Last edited on
Never said they suck.
Ohh Fredbill your power of observation is just not of this world. You should really learn to read posts before commenting with your 4 word comments.

Zereo wrote:
There is a difference between letting the developers know that you would like a certain feature in their software and using them as a punching bag ;p. I'm not saying anyone here is complaining about it, I just tend to see a lot of whining when it comes to VS and C++11 (Mainly people saying that the VS dev team must suck which is where my previous post came from)

Zereo wrote:

but if you started saying the the dev team sucks for not being able to produce full C++11 compliance then that is being a bit hypocritical in my opinion because most programmers couldn't do what they do (Again not saying anyone here is saying that)

Last edited on
I'm going to turn phrase now in an attempt to describe the state of our little lounge. I'll use a /b/ism for lack of a better (funnier?) turn of phrase.

My it sure is summer up in here.

As for the topic at hand, (C++ standards and compilers and whathaveyou) Any idea when we are supposed to be getting binary literals? Yes I know hex is easier to understand, but for some places I'd rather be looking at which bits are flipped. Ya know?
Pages: 12