what would you like in a game engine?

Pages: 12
i'm starting to work on my own game engine and i need suggestions. what would you like in a game engine?
closed account (3qX21hU5)
A built in TileMap editor with a programming interface to easily use the files it generates in your game to render the tilemap and use each tiles/cells/objects properties to do things like collision detection and spawning and other things.

If you don't want to make you own full blown editor you could just give support for parsing/rendering the Tiled Map Editor's .tmx files.

Other ideas are a basic particle engine, a normal collision detection system (If you are really ambitious you could go for pixel perfect :p), also make sure you give a way to manage different levels and loading screens/menu's that is easy to use.

Really just use whatever you used most in your games you have created. Also remember to make it generic enough that it can be useful for a bunch of different games (Though I would stick within one genre).

If you can give a list of what you already have we could probably tell you some things you might be missing.
opengl support
custom coding language or coding interface (15)
multi-platform support
object creation
multi-coding language support
node based programming
2d support
gun creation / weapon creation
physics simulations (cloth, water, fire, ridged body, soft body, partials)
user friendly interface
polygon editing
audio editing
animation editing
advance animation editing
rigging system
multiplayer support
AI creation(gravity adaptation/flying/land/targeting )
cut-scene support
camera tracking system
gravity wells
easy car creation
easy map creation
click boxes/look at boxes
photo editor
local file share/ cloud share
dynamic objects/character damage (destructive objects/melting/smashing/fraction points)
object saving
project saving
easy 1st/3ed person cameras
advance materials
Dynamic paint
metaballs
quick animation to game
REALLY LARGE WORKSPACE

thats my list so far
Last edited on
You created all this on your own?
I think that is his todo list. Considering he just recently posted he is having trouble installing openGL with codeblocks...

@OP It is good to have goals but you might wanna stick to something a bit more realistic. What you are listing is basically a commercial grade game engine.

I would recommend you aim much much smaller like a simple 2D game engine build ontop of SFML or SDL if you don't have any experience with game engines/games and then just start making tools you need for it. Because what you are listing will take you probably about 10 years give or take depending on your experience level.
Last edited on
OpenGL *and* DirectX support? A lofty goal for sure, but it'll make your engine more complex, and if you plan to have both rendering methods (and maybe a software renderer or two as fallbacks like Irrlicht has) available at runtime, it'll also make your executable larger and possibly slower and more memory hungry.
the list is more of a final goal when i get everything finished

btw i got opengl installed
- OpenGL or DirectX support.
- Clean, easy, but powerful interface.
- A good documented API.
- a built in Sprite editor or 3D editor. (doesnt have to be the best, but somehting decent.)
- cross-platform portability.
- Multi programming language support.
- GUI
- Physics sub-engine
- Graphics sub-engine
- Audio sub-engine
- Networking sub-engine

I cant wait to see the engine you create. will it be a public game engine?
The GUI should be developed in such a way that you can style it in interesting ways. Although it was ultimately a forgettable game for me, I really liked Dishonored's GUI.
@hertz yes, also i was thinking of some node based programming
Last edited on
splash screen maker
Splash screens are actually quite easy to make, at least with the library I have been using lately not sure if all libraries provide this feature.

All I had to do was create a window without a border

window = pyglet.window.Window(style = WINDOW_STYLE_BORDERLESS) then just add your picture to it and some simple code and you are good to go. I am almost certain most graphics libraries will have a window flag similar to that. If not I am sure openGL and DirectX provide it.

EDIT: On SFML I believe the window flag is style = none to get you a borderless window which can be used as a splash screen http://sfml-dev.org/documentation/2.0/group__window.php#ga8d7a3b8425c907a2872cb57e32cea5b8
Last edited on
@Zereo
Idk about DirectX, but OpenGL doesn't do anything to do with window management. You need some other library, such as SDL, to manage windows and provide a viewport for OpenGL to render to. This allows OpenGL to be completely OS-independent (OS-agnostic, in fact).
Hmm never actually used openGL(At least not just openGL by itself) and there I go making absolute statements about it ;p. My bad about the misinformation.
Last edited on
don't worry ill figure it out
closed account (9wqjE3v7)
@chrisname All DirectX needs is the handler object to know the output window. Maybe if OP is using windows, DirectX would be a simpler option, with the cost of portability.
Last edited on
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
I would like to see well done documentation. That is all.

EDIT: And Linux support.
Last edited on
closed account (zb0S216C)
herrybiscuit wrote:
"opengl support
custom coding language or coding interface (15)
multi-platform support
object creation
multi-coding language support
node based programming
2d support
gun creation / weapon creation
physics simulations (cloth, water, fire, ridged body, soft body, partials)
user friendly interface
polygon editing
audio editing
animation editing
advance animation editing
rigging system
multiplayer support
AI creation(gravity adaptation/flying/land/targeting )
cut-scene support
camera tracking system
gravity wells
easy car creation
easy map creation
click boxes/look at boxes
photo editor
local file share/ cloud share
dynamic objects/character damage (destructive objects/melting/smashing/fraction points)
object saving
project saving
easy 1st/3ed person cameras
advance materials
Dynamic paint
metaballs
quick animation to game
"

I don't think a photo-editor belong in a game engine. At what point in any game would you be required to edit a photo? Also, I see a crucial missing element: memory management -- what's a [decent] game engine without memory management?

In addition, "user-friendly interface"? For a game engine? I thought game engines were supposed to be API and libraries, not executables.

Wazzak
Ease of use and good documentations. That's all I ever ask out of anything :)
@Framework
What does the game engine really need to do as far as memory management goes? Do you just mean like managing the loading and destruction of assets, or full-on management? Because honestly I think the built-in memory management in C++ should be enough for everything else.
Pages: 12