• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Suggestions for a good Discrete Mathemat

Suggestions for a good Discrete Mathematics book before starting Algorithms

I've picked up the basics of the C++11 language and I've decided to learn Algorithms. However, as soon as I started with 'Introduction to Algorithms', I felt that I needed the required mathematical background to proceed forward with that book. I've already started downloading course materials from the MIT OpenCourseWare. I want a suggestion for a book that I should accompany myself with.

I also think that providing my mathematical background would be helpful. Although I've studied every topic that is taught till high school (Eleventh and Twelfth Grade) including Calculus, Algebra, Geometry, Numbers and Trigonometry, I never studied those topics seriously. I was always taught Applied Mathematics and I never liked it. I never understood the concepts behind formulas and theorems. Therefore, I have a very low confidence regarding my mathematics.

I've shortlisted a few of them that are available where I live. What are your thoughts regarding the books listed below? Which book would you recommend to a beginner in mathematics?

Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications by Kenneth Rosen
Elements of Discrete Mathematics by C.L. Liu
Discrete Mathematics by Norman Biggs
Discrete Mathematics by Richard Johnsonbaugh
Last edited on
Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications by Kenneth Rosen

It's the book used at the University I'm going to. I don't know about the others. I got the 4th edition used for about $15.00 on Amazon.

But I'm not necessarily the best book for a self learning beginner.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.