• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Does online profile improve chances of g

Does online profile improve chances of getting a job?

closed account (G309216C)
Hi,

This question is fairly straight-forward, I am interested about this.
Does these online forums improve chances of approval of getting a Job?

I would predict my question that it would be a "yes" but who knows these may be side-tracks or chances to improve coding.

The reason behind my prediction is due to the fact many of the question posted here tend to be real-time related therefore it would show the interviewee that you are capable of working in real-time scenarios.

What do you think of my question?
I never considered purposefully looking up candidates on online forums (most people use online aliases anyway), but if I run into a familiar name, it might help managing the interview time. For example, if you have a gold badge for C++ on Stackoverflow, I might skip C++ questions altogether and spend more time on concurrency, debugging, teamwork, and other topics that matter for the job.
I was asked at an interview if I had a SO account before. I know it's not unheard of for employers to look for that kinda stuff.
I am quite new to the interview scenarios therefore I am quite curious.

I am not familiar with the popularity of this forums but for example if someone asked if I had a SO account but I replied no and said I do have cplusplus forums account do you think it will be as great as having SO account.

These are just theoretical questions, if few interviewee's ask if they have a online profile, is it worthwhile to include it in CV\Resume.

Thanks! This would be useful for future and for current unemployed who are looking for a job in Software Industry.

Thanks!
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
do you think it will be as great as having SO account.

Probably not quite as much. On SO you get badges for special things and you have a reputation number.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
These forums are also geared towards more of a beginner atmosphere also (Which isn't a bad thing) whereas when I think Stackoverflow I think of more advance topics. But that might just be me and my personal opinion.

But generally when I am on Stackoverflow it is a much more professional environment then these forums which are much more laid back and our help forums tend to cater to more beginner questions. Though that is not to say everyone here is a beginner.
Zereo wrote:
I think of more advance topics

Me too.
Zereo wrote:
it is a much more professional environment

Yes it is. Your questions have to be or almost perfect to post them or you will get "question banned" until you answer enough questions
Thanks!

With that I think adding some sort of reputation feature would increase the chances of people with accounts here get jobs right?

closed account (3qX21hU5)
With that I think adding some sort of reputation feature would increase the chances of people with accounts here get jobs right?

I hope they don't do that. One of the main reasons I like this forum so much is because it doesn't have all those types of features. It keeps things simple and it does that well.
Zereo wrote:
I hope they don't do that. One of the main reasons I like this forum so much is because it doesn't have all those types of features. It keeps things simple and it does that well.

+1 It does seem nice at first to have the extra things, but after a while it really gets annoying.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.