Books or Internet?

Pages: 12
@htirwin

In the strictest definition, all book code is professional code; unless the book is non-for-profit.

There are different points of view. Even if somebody works as a programmer many years nevertheless I can not call his code as professional basing on the fact that his profession is programming.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
When I think of professional code I think of production code, which is why it is hard to find it in a book because you only see certain snippets of code related to the concept being discussed and rarely see it all come together like it does in a professional project.

It is easy to learn a concept from a book sometimes but just because you know that concept doesn't mean you are writing professional code. Being able to use that concept effectively in productions code to solve a real life problem is really when you start to write professional code in my opinion.

But I am sure everyone has different opinions on what actual professional code is.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
But I am sure everyone has different opinions on what actual professional code is.
I tend to think of professional code as having a certain qualities* as apposed to the 'content' of production code. The qualities of professional code include things like being clean, readable, and easy to understand.

* as in a distinctive attribute or characteristic possessed by someone or something.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I tend to think of professional code as having a certain qualities* as apposed to the 'content' of production code. The qualities of professional code include things like being clean, readable, and easy to understand.

I can agree with that definition also. So I guess it is kind of hard to put a definitive meaning behind it.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12