• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Why does copying of content corrupt file

Why does copying of content corrupt files?

Hi.

I just made my first encryptor/decryptor program in C++.It can encrypt any text files without any problems at all. However, I wanted to be able to encrypt and decrypt any file type, without corrupting it. Once I tried to open a .jpg file just for fun in notepad. I copied all the content of the file into an empty document. Then I saved it as a new .jpg file. However, this does not work because when I try to open it with the image displaying program, it says that the file is ruined/can not be opened. Why can you not copy the raw data of image files and other files without corrupting them like this?

I have never been an expert when it comes to this topic so please explain what happens.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Because notepad is a text editor. The byte values in the binary file don't exactly all match up to ASCII.

Look up fstream. Read each individual byte and write it to a new file.
So if I treat all files as binary files, I should be able to encrypt/decrypt all files?
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
And this should be in the beginners forum
CaptainBlast, the reason for why I posted this was that I thought that the beginners forum was only used for specific questions about C++ only. I am sorry.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Well you could. It wouldn't be that hard actually. Since each character is one byte, you can easily just read one byte and copy it, read another, etc.
Ok, I know how to do it now. Thanks for the help. I'm looking forward to solve this :).
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.