C++14 in VS2012

closed account (jwkNwA7f)
I have VS2012 Professional, which has some C++11 features. I want the more C++11 features and C++14 features that comes in VS2013. Since I already have paid for VS2012 Professional, I don't want to buy VS2013 Professional also. Is it possible to install VS2013 Express, since it has the new C++ features too, and move the files used to compile the C++14, etc. to the folder where they would be in VS2012. If this is possible, what files should I copy and where should I put them?

Also, is this legal? I think it would be, since you can get the new features free in the express version.

Hopefully I explained this well.

Thank you!
You re asking for two things that are very unlikely:
1. That compilers support a language standard that isn't even out yet
2. That MSVC support C++
Yep. I don't know alot about how compilers work. I was thinking that they have files with the features in them that the compiler uses to interpret the source code to machine code.
You re asking for two things that are very unlikely:
1. That compilers support a language standard that isn't even out yet
2. That MSVC support C++

Both of those are in fact very likely. There was support for C++11/"C++0x" across several compilers long before the standard became "official".

And MSVS has supported C++ for decades (and continues to support it).

I don't want to buy VS2013 Professional also. Is it possible to install VS2013 Express, since it has the new C++ features too, and move the files used to compile the C++14, etc. to the folder where they would be in VS2012. If this is possible, what files should I copy and where should I put them?

Your best bet would be to contact MS customer support. If you legitimately paid for and own VS2012, then they're unlikely to just shaft you. If you contact them and make some kind of complaint they'll likely give you a free upgrade to VS2013.

If you're looking for a legal avenue, that really is the best one.

(Part of the reason programs like VS cost so much is because of their customer support... so take advantage of what you paid for).
Last edited on
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Anyone else kinda jealous a 13 year old has the money to purchase a copy of Vs2012 professional? ;p
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Anyone else kinda jealous a 13 year old has the money to purchase a copy of Vs2012 professional?

"purchase"

If you contact them and make some kind of complaint they'll likely give you a free upgrade to VS2013.

I seriously doubt that.

Microsoft's Answer will probably be: "Buy the upgrade, jackass."

My answer is: Install Ubuntu, and get an up-to-date compiler every 6 months; and if I really want to, compile a new one myself whenever I damn well please.

Alternative answer: Buy a Mac, at least they give away XCode and Clang for free.

Everyone seems to have a giant hard-on for Visual Studio that I don't understand whatsoever. The compiler is shit, the IDE itself is barebones and it's proprietary and expensive as hell. IMO, Netbeans C++ support is way ahead of Visual Studio and it's free.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I really don't see why people come into threads that are obviously going to be related to Microsoft products just so they can spout the "Microsoft sucks and Linux is better" crap.

But back on topic I would agree with Disch contact customer support and see what they can do about it. There is also Dreamspark though since you are 13 I am not sure if they would be able to do anything for you but you could give a shot.
Last edited on
I was going to reply to darkestfright, but his MS hateboy-ism and general lack of understanding of how businesses work is hopefully apparent enough for the to OP to realize he should just disregard everything he said.
"purchase"

I did purchase it.
I seriously doubt that.

Microsoft's Answer will probably be: "Buy the upgrade, jackass."

That will most likely be the case, but I will still give it a try.
Everyone seems to have a giant hard-on for Visual Studio that I don't understand whatsoever. The compiler is shit, the IDE itself is barebones and it's proprietary and expensive as hell.

I personally love VS. It isn't sh*t. I have to agree it is expensive as hell.
I really don't see why people come into threads that are obviously going to be related to Microsoft products just so they can spout the "Microsoft sucks and Linux is better" crap.

I agree.
There is also Dreamspark though since you are 13 I am not sure if they would be able to do anything for you but you could give a shot.

What is Dreamspark?
I was going to reply to darkestfright, but his MS hateboy-ism and general lack of understanding of how businesses work is hopefully apparent enough for the to OP to realize he should just disregard everything he said.

I realized that.

EDIT:
Alternative answer: Buy a Mac, at least they give away XCode and Clang for free.

I do have a mac, but I only know how to make console applications on it.

EDIT 2: Fixed where I used code tags instead of quote tags.
Last edited on
@Disch: My first point was that you would need to be from the future to know how to correctly support a standard that hasn't come out yet, and my second point was more of a joke.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.