Windows 8

Hey guys, what do you think about the new Windows 8? Good Bad? Out of 10 post your comment
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
For programming: 4
Other: 6
closed account (1yR4jE8b)

It plays the games that don't work on the main OS X partition. Other than that, Windows isn't a blip on my radar.
@darkestfright Why such a downer on Microsoft recently?

EDIT: They did a good job at what they wanted to make. I just don't really like what they wanted to make as much.
Last edited on
I have it at work. If you don't have a touch screen don't go near it. It's very clunky to use without one.

If you have a touchscreen it might be okay, but I couldn't say.
If you have a touchscreen it might be okay, but I couldn't say.

It is. I have had 2 tablets with Windows 8. Although they were pieces of sh*t, it was good when the tablets actually worked. Touchscreens are terrible for programming, though.

EDIT:
off topic: NEVER buy an ASUS VivoTab Smart ME-400-C1. They are TERRIBLE. Yes, these are what I was talking about above.
Last edited on
closed account (3qX21hU5)
People actually try and program on tablets? I could understand doing it on a tablet like the Surface Pro with a physical keyboard but not on a virtual keyboard.

I have a hard enough time not misspelling my texts when I use my touchscreen I couldn't imaging trying to actually type programming syntax.
It's ok, I really don't know what kind of score I would give it. I really don't delve much into it, I just use the desktop and the file explorer, So other than shutting it down or starting certain programs I make it act almost just like windows 7. You don't have to use the metro start screen crap, I don't.
Zereo wrote:
People actually try and program on tablets? I could understand doing it on a tablet like the Surface Pro with a physical keyboard but not on a virtual keyboard.

TBH, me. I wanted a tablet, and I wanted to program for Windows 8. I only did for a little over 2 weeks. MY first tablet only lasted 2 weeks, and the second one for 2 days!
People keep saying it is horrible, but I don't think it's that bad at all. The metro interface I don't use that much. I have touch screen, but I don't use it very much. To me it just seams like an improved windows 7 for the most part.

I give it a 7.5.

Last edited on
closed account (18hRX9L8)
Really?

I think the Ultrabook is really cool (and not to mention really light) and I like the touchscreen (although I barely use it) (fingerprints are a bit annoying).

For coding it's just like a Win 7 (I like the Metro UI, its easy to organize all my IDEs).

There are some minor bugs but other than that, it's a solid 9/10 for me!!!
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
For me, the Windows desktop side seems pretty good I would give that something like 7 or 8 out of ten. For the Windows App side (Modern UI, Microsoft don't want you to call it Metro) looks quite good for what it is, I would maybe give it 6 or 7 out of ten.

Put them together for a desktop OS, I would say 3 to 4 out of ten. Windows 8.1 is a bit better but still falls short.
I like the simpler flat theme. Don't care much for the metro side but then I rarely have a need to use it. I read about certain optimizations to the internals that make CPU and memory use more efficient, which is cool. Other than all of that it's practically the same as windows 7 for me.

8/10 I guess. I don't think it's as "different" as people believe. The way I see it it is the same old windows with some modern additions.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.