Is this site legit?

Pages: 12
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I don't have Assembler knowledge.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
@OP

Again as others have said I would recommend reading up on the articles and other information others have provided on OS development. I don't really think you are getting the correct impression about the scale of the project you wish to undertake. It will involve a deep knowledge of how a computer works a very low level and will require a lot of dedication.

Now I am not trying to discourage you from doing this, in fact I actually think it is great that more people are interested in this type of thing (So many new programmers just want to make games and that is it).

I just wanted to let you know that it is not going to be a easy undertaking as your posts seem to imply it will be. It won't be just saving some information in text files and reading from them.

So if you will to do this you will have to be prepared to do months of research and and even more work to get a small OS developed and up and running.

Anyways wish you the best of luck and go and read them tutorials and articles people have been linking you do and do some research on it. After a few weeks or months you should be able to understand what is needed to be done and what you need to learn to do it.

Lumpkin wrote:
I don't have Assembler knowledge.

Huh? Back to posting random stuff that really contributes nothing to the conversation?
Last edited on
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
A) yes you do need a kernel. That stuff wouldnt count as a kernel. That would be stuff the kernel loads. You put the kernel where the boot loader will look for it, not in any randpm spot. Just google assembly guides for amd and intel
Also, I know .bin is short for binary. I said however that there is no c++ binary file. That doesnt make any sense, since bi literally means two. C++ source can be compiled into a binary file, commonly an exe
All this talk is beyond me, im catching up though started my uni course :D

closed account (NUj6URfi)
What is the best website or book for me to learn x86 assembly?
depends on the flavor
?? What do you mean?
assembly differs. there are many variants of basic, like qbasic, or visual basic. the same is true with assembly (although basic just got a lot of fan made versions while assembly is different to target different architectures and processors)
Yeah, so what about x86 for NASM? Patater's GBAGUY's assembly tutorial and the one on the nasm site didn't make any sense. I need a book that thinks I am a nobody.
Well?
Well?

That's a deep subject.

HAHA!

http://www.drpaulcarter.com/pcasm/
Oh no! Not NASM!

MASM!
http://www.masm32.com/
It's a thing of beauty.
I personally prefer to use NASM, simply due to the fact that I can get used to the same syntax for multiple OS's. As far as I know, MASM is only for windows, and for us people who run Linux distro's, it doesn't seem great. Then again, I don't know all that much about MASM other than what it says on the site, so it might be cross-OS compatible, though I don't think so.
As far as I know, MASM is only for windows

I was actually going to post that yesterday, but I decided to look into it before I posted, and found that it is not necessarily the case:
http://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=736.0
well actually the guy says he tried to wine masm (which is not a smart idea imo. rather just make cross-assembler). they listed off substitutes. im using nasm right now and it seems to work good
they listed off substitutes

No, they listed off substitutes that allow you to use MASM syntax on non-Windows operating systems, which is what I was pointing out.
Thanks Danny Toledo for the link.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12