Internet is glitchy

Simply put, my internet goes out. Roughly 3-5 times a month it simply stops working for ~2 hours (always about that long). In addition, I occasionally have times when doesn't stop but instead seems to be painfully slow (far worse than say... 16 kb/s dial-up). The router's fine, when the internet goes out it let's me know what's going on. My computer diagnostic insists that everything's just fucking dandy (Carlin, if you've seen him). I'm at a loss, I pay for the speedy internet (supposedly 50 mb/s or some such, translates to 3 mb/s downloads).
Has anyone else had this issue? Any insights?
closed account (o3hC5Di1)
Hi there,

Your computer will think everything is fine as long as it has a connection to the router and it has some way of connecting to the internet, however slow. What kind of subscription do you have - ADSL2, VDSL2?

All the best,
NwN
Last edited on
What type of Internet connection? That's a pretty huge factor.
My first move would be to call your ISP and report it to them. If it's a problem on their end, they should be able to fix it. If it's a problem on your end, they might be able to send a tech out to fix it.

It's probably best if you call when the problem is occurring. So keep a phone handy and next time it happens just call them up and complain.

If you're paying for expensive internet, you're paying for the customer service as well. Use it ;)
A couple years ago i had similar issues, regarding constant internet loss at times for a couple hours. Some times being very slow, etc. After calling my ISP they insisted it was my router. I knew it was not, so to prove them wrong, i bought a new router and replaced my old one. After that point they sent a tech out and replaced the lines from the modem to the outer house, to the box, and checked the connections outside in their box. After still having problems, they sent another tech out to check the problem. I demanded they replace the modem as that was the only culprit left. After getting the modem replaced the random internet shutoffs stopped, and super slow speeds ceased.

I have no idea what kind of subscription I have. It's through Comcast, and it's cable. The router and modem are the same machine (It's an Arris.... I seem to remember thinking that was a little odd).
If it's the modem, I have no idea how I'd check seeing as it's router/modem combo.
I suppose I'll call them next time it happens, I just can't stand being treated like a retard as they ask me to reset it 35 times, 'cause y'know... that never springs to mind ever.
EDIT: Interesting, pinging google gives me 35 ms of latency (good? bad?) when it's going super slow. pinging this site gives me 75 ms and only gets a packet 50% of time. Lotta derp happening.
Last edited on
closed account (o3hC5Di1)
Hi there,

Is there any regularity in the cut-offs? For instance, does it get worse during the evenings or weekends?
Cable subscriptions are known to have as a downside that when there are a lot of people in the same area using the same type of subscription, the connections can get slow because of a bottleneck on the network, so if you know anyone in the neighbourhood with a similar connection, you might want to double check with them.

Troubleshooting things like these, which happen at random times, are relatively hard for first line support. In theory it's easy, usually there is an option to monitor a connection for a period of time, but they usually don't give those kinds of tools to first-line support.

Does your router/modem log say anything about disconnects when the problem occurs? As Disch said, you may want to verify with your ISP first, they should be able to run a diagnostic test on the cable to see if there are any physical layer problems. I've seen and heard about the weirdest cable faults, usually due to faulty or broken cable insulation. Stuff like someone's internet dropping every time the neighbours used theirs or internet dropping every time they used the washing machine.

If you could provide your ISP some speedtests (speedtest.net) of times when it works fine and times it gets slow, it may give them more of an incentive to look into the problem.

All the best,
NwN
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.