Game programmers

Pages: 123
Yeah that's a good idea. I'll probably do that. =) Thanks.
I have thousands of projects ideas for games. Worked on zero of them.
why not?
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
It's difficult to get started. Even if you do, you often become demotivated or lack the time to actually complete such a daunting task.

Most decent looking games take a few years at least to get anywhere near usable.
I'm writing a fairly small and simple game at the moment, my second one and to anyone who reads this thread who is considering starting a game I would say be prepared to spend AT LEAST a few months on it and that really is an absolute minimum and be prepared to spend a great deal of your time not actually writing new code, but finding problems in existing code and expect to be sick to death of your own game by the end of it.

Game programming is not glamorous or even particularly fun, it's just generally hard work and very frustrating.
Mats wrote:
Game programming is not glamorous or even particularly fun, it's just generally hard work and very frustrating.

There fixed that for you.

It doesn't matter what type of programming as all programming fits that description. The only programming that is 'fun' and 'glamorous' is the type you are interested in. I rather find it fascinating and think it is the closest thing to being God. I just haven't worked on any of them because I have more important things in my life than spending hours on my game ideas (namely my wife and son).
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Hmm I must be a odd ball then cause I tend to enjoy programming even if it is a topic I am not generally interested in. Yes it can be tedious and frustrating at times but overall I tend to enjoy it.
@Zereo
No you are actually normal. What is odd that programmers single out one form of programming saying it sucks more than another.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I can agree with that. I would also expand it to include programmer who single out a certain language. Personally I could care less which programming language I use and I don't really have a "favorite", I will just use which ever language suits my needs. Because it really isn't the language I am programming in that makes it enjoyable it is the problems that I have to solve.

Which is why I never really understood these language holy wars some programmers seem to love to have.
I agree with that. The languages I've learned over the years I have found really no reason to hate them. I'm like you, I don't have a favorite, I only use C++ because it was my first serious language and I just use it most, but it isn't my "favorite" either.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
I am currently developing a voxel engine, you can see videos of it on my channel:
http://youtube.com/mc838783
It looks nice, but I am missing the 'voxel' part of it. From what I see you are breaking a 3D textured block and making it explode into particles. From my understanding of what a voxel is, that isn't it.

My understanding of a voxel is that the whole 3D object is made up of tiny 3d blocks (voxel = volume pixel). A voxel is the same idea as a pixel, just like thousands of pixels make up an image on the monitor, hundreds of voxels would make up the block.
i never wrote a 3d engine before, is it frustrating?
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
It's not so much frustrating.. it's just a very long and grueling process. Each time I start, I either get bored or decided to go with a different design or... so on.
Well I don't know about grueling as you can find most things online to help you understand aspects of making your own engine and even designing your own. It is a long process though.

Well, I guess if you are attempting something that has never been documented or openly shown it may be grueling trying to find the solution to make it work in the engine.
I am working on a remake of Red Alert 1. It is an RTS game by Westwood, who is now owned by EA.
Got to be careful. I don't know how EA is about fan made remakes. I know Nintendo allegedly went after a Zelda fan game, Square Enix shut down a Chrono Trigger fan game, and allegedly Nintendo shutdown a Super Mario Bros fan game (but Nintendo reps swear they never shut it down despite the fan game creator saying they did).
Red Alert is free now. OpenRA is already made. :D
http://openra.res0l.net/

EDIT: BTW, RA1 was made in 1995 and released in 1996. So it is OLD.
Last edited on
Being free and having an open source clone doesn't mean EA won't come after you. I'm willing to bet EA is watching and first time they try to make a profit from OpenRA and EA will come after them. Don't get me wrong, I'm just saying to be careful as the last thing I want to see is more indie programmers getting in trouble because of fan games they make.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Would it be bad if you make all the graphics?

Do donations count as making money from?
Last edited on
Pages: 123