• Forum
  • Lounge
  • cpluspluscom: dev-snippets, dev-tools, &

cpluspluscom: dev-snippets, dev-tools, & dev-classes

As you all know, cpluspluscom is the community Organization for cplusplus.com - previously, it only housed Computergeek01's random SFML project and the ChessPlusPlus project, but now it also houses two new repositories:
https://github.com/cpluspluscom

dev-tools
This repo is for small independently licensed developer tools for C++. Large tools don't belong here, they deserve their own repo. Each tool should have its own folder with a README.md and a LICENSE file.

dev-snippets
This repo is for code snippets, not complete programs. For example, code segments that are retyped over and over for beginners, examples of how to do certain things in C++, etc. - each snippet or set of snippets should be in its/their own folder, with a README.md containing a link to e.g. ideone or coliru examples of the usage of the snippets in complete programs, as well as a LICENSE file.

The dev-snippets repository is maintained by LowestOne.

dev-classes
I'll let you guess.

Feel free to contribute! Just fork the repo to your own GitHub account, add a tool or snippet, and then submit a pull request for review.

When your pull request is accepted, add a wiki page to the repository wiki explaining how to use the tool or snippet. Eventually I will get around to adding a CONTRIBUTING.md file so GitHub automatically asks you to read information when making a pull request. EDIT: Done :)

Fun Fact:
You can do everything from GitHub's web interface,
with no need to ever install or use any software related to git.

Pro Tip:
When you go to create the LICENSE file, GitHub lets you use a template:
http://i.imgur.com/ucbre9W.png
For snippets, I recommend the very bottom one - public domain.
Last edited on
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
do you care if i make an article for this? or at the very least will you?
I don't think we need an article, if we just keep linking people to the snippets and keep sharing the source to developer tools, it should fuel itself. An article can get buried.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
good point. i wasnt thinking about that
There has been some change of plans. LowestOne will now be maintaining the dev-snippets repository, so he gets to decide how the process works.

Also, there is now a dev-classes repository.
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
Why not put more source into the file, or at least have an main_example.cpp or something instead of linking to other websites which could go down ?

ex this would have no meaning without the links (still kind of meaningless with the links tho tbh ; just showing template aliasing ?) ... https://github.com/cpluspluscom/dev-snippets/blob/master/tmp-identity/identity.hpp
LowestOne will now be maintaining the dev-snippets repository, so he gets to decide how the process works.

Can I maintain the dev-tools repo too, since it was my idea and all. Also, can you set me up as a contributer so I can re-open those pull requests?
Sure thing, you can be in charge of all three. You seem to have a game plan in mind while I'm just laying in wait, so go for it!

And by the way, I just hope there are no hard feelings ;)
No hard feelings. :)

I also didn't realize it would have been impossible for me to make a repo on my own.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.