best web hosting company?

closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
so i appreciate all of the help you guys have given me with my website, especially since this is a c++ forum. im on my last question. i need a place to host my website. i want to use www.dungeontoolssoftware.com (thats what DTS means now), which is available, but i dont know which is the best host. what do you guys use? i need php support, java support (<--Not as important), dart (<-- not a deal breaker because i can just compile to javascript), and whatever i would need for the tree frog library
I'd appreciate an answer to this too, seeing as I'd like to have a website...

BTW, what is the link to your website?

(DragonToothSoftware.com gives a DNS error...)
Last edited on
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Koding.com actually provides a server for you with a webserver pre-enabled with root access. I've tried it, it's really well done and is upgrade-able if you grow outside of the size of the server.

EDIT: I should mention that Koding.com is the best *free* one that I've seen by very, very, very, very, very far. I use a Linode to host my own Nginx-based webserver. Managed website hosts that don't allow root access or at least a server user is not something you want, it can restrict some of the things you can do (such as run CGI/PHP scripts). Some also have odd environments to lower resource usage or for incompetent reasons.
Last edited on
DragonTooth? It was DungeonToolsSoftware.Com....Where did you get dragon tooth? o.O
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I have been quite happy with godaddy.com for my hosting. I never run into any problems with them in the year or two that I have been with them so I would recommend them.

Here is what they support for components - http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/5614/which-components-does-my-hosting-support

They don't support Java anymore and dart is way to new to be supported by most hosting companies but it can still be used since it can be compiled to javascript.

Also not sure what the tree frog library is (All google results are about actual tree frogs...) so can't help with that one.
I think tree frog library is this framework http://www.treefrogframework.org/

And I like godaddy.com, I have all 3 of my domains through them, but can't afford to have hosting right now as last time I did it, they charged $20 or so a month.
I used to have my domains through godaddy until they wanted a premium service charge so I could manage the DNS. Since then, I've been going through afraid.org to manage DNS(although I think godaddy changes its policies since then. Too late really.) and the domain host they support (some third party... doesn't really matter much as long as it's legally sane).
closed account (iw0XoG1T)
If you have to use godaddy --don't pay with a credit card. I had real problems with them charging me for services I did not use. And it definitely was not worth the amount of time I went through to get my money back (my wife was really mad at me for wasting so much time fighting for so little money).
@chwsks
Like the SSL? They do that by sneaking it in with one of the free month/year things they give you for starting a host account with them. I never used it so I was sure to cancel it, otherwise I've never been charged for anything like that.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
You shouldn't have to be careful about things like that, it's a clear attempt to just jip money out of you.
@superdude: i havent bought it yet. so i hope it keeps giving a dns error until i buy it ;)
@bhx: its on my profile. in a moment of paranoia i put the first thing that i could of that reasonably fit into dts. and yes i meant that framework. idk what i need to have in a hosting service to use it.
@zereo: i just wanted to try out writing some java widgets so if they dont support it idc. and yeah if they dont support dart ill just have to write a process to automate compiling it when i update the script.
@computerquip: i would use that but i want my own domain.

so anyways godaddy. yes or no? and if i shouldnt pay with a credit card i have a paypal
DTSCode, you can buy domains through them. But in reality, the only thing I want out of a domain registrar is for them not to bug the shit out of me with fees for things I don't need or I can already get without them.
oh ok i didnt understand that. ill look into it

edit: to the post below... i didnt even notice!
Last edited on
Wow, this thread got away from me...

Thanks DTS for answering the questions I was about to ask, and the one I was going to answer.

BTW, congrats 3000th post.
Last edited on
Like I said, I have 3 domains from GoDaddy.com, but have no hosting so all 3 just point to the holding spots they do by default.

http://www.specterent.com Was going to be an online indie game dev company (fail)
http://www.clayton-weaver.com Was going to be an online portfolio (fail)
http://www.bhxspecter.com Bought it because I am BHXSpecter and figured why not (still fail)
I currently only have one: computerquip.com

Although, it currently does nothing but point to my server.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.