Firfox's "inspect element" feature

Why can I change html in Firefox's "inspect element" feature? If it doesn't stay, why allow me to change it temporarily?
Why would you expect it to stay?

It's useful for quick debugging on websites. I'm not a web designer, so when I designed my site it was useful to consult with people I knew were good at it. They could check out my site, view the source I'd put in and test a potential change using the tools available in Firefox.

Of course, those changes wouldn't stick because then they'd effectively be saving the version of the website stored on my web server.

By your logic, anyone should be able to inspect and subsequently alter the source of any website, with their changes being saved to the web server. This would effectively give anyone free reign over editing websites. Can you imagine how chaotic that would be?
Last edited on
That would be interesting. Would make security folks have a fun time.
*gives everyone a key that opens every lock for every car, every house and every office in the world*

*Expects society will carry on just fine*
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
well its kind of how dune worked... and only two houses were killed off :P
Chrome's "Inspect Element" feature works the same way. You can change HTML, CSS, JavaScript, etc. temporarily for debugging purposes.
I understand now. It can be helpful for debugging purposes and to let others purpose changes.
its also heloful for seeing how they did something
kingcong wrote:
and to let others purpose changes.
Not at all, why would you think this? ;)
DTSCode wrote:
its also heloful for seeing how they did something
You can do that without "Inspect Element"...
L B wrote:

Well not actually purpose changes, but to let them know that something could be better and/or something is wrong (with examples of course).
Last edited on

read i hutchs post

You can do that without "Inspect Element"...

i didnt say it was the only way. there can be more than one way to do something. when i was working on my firefox plugin (which failed because i cant get javascript. damn you ultra weakly typed oop!) i would inspect elements so i would know what i would have to target
damn you ultra weakly typed oop

Dart :)
i see what you did there, but darts not as weakly typed as javascript. at least not like javascript. more like python
I think what RB is trying to say is, "just use Dart instead of ultra weakly typed languages".

Also, @kingcong there is a difference between "purpose" in life and "propose" to your significant other. ;)
I cant In a firefox addon though. I wish I could
@L B I meant propose.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.