Go

Late last night I finally achieved something that I've been wanting to do for years: I learned the rules of GO. To my surprise and delight, it is far more complex than I had previously thought (admittedly I hadn't thought much). My question here is: anyone else here play?

Incidentally I play on www.gokgs.com, anyone else play there or know any other good sites?

EDIT: point of clarification, the game is complex, not the rules (there are 3).
Full disclosure: I'm absolutely terrible :D
Last edited on
My sister tried to get me into it. It's definitely a high strategy game, but I never really enjoyed it. I'm more of a chess man.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
I am a chess man myself. I'm down for more complicated games... but I personally just don't like the simplicity of Go. It doesn't attract me for some reason.
Last edited on
I've played chess my whole life and honestly I feel as though I've missed out. Chess is game of planning where pros (which I'm certainly not) think 10 moves ahead. Go seems to rely far more on action-reaction, thinking 10 moves ahead completely is impossible, far too many variables (and lack of time).

Fun fact, although your average desktop will slaughter you at chess (no matter your skill level). Computers haven't managed to beat us at GO yet.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
i love chess! ill give go a try though
Another big chess fan here, but I do play Go with a friend of mine sometimes. Never particularly interested me as a game to play online though. =/

If you're just starting out and want to improve, definitely start out by doing life & death excersizes. It's the pillar stone of Go to know if a group is dead or alive and how to kill and survive. Once you've done some of that and played a few dozen games where you likely have no idea of what is really going on (that's certainly what I found!), then I found this guy's lectures were excellent and he has ton of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0FqH33vi7M

Go also seems to be very interesting from an AI point of view. It's a very very very difficult game to get an AI to play well. We should make a Go AI! Anyone?

@sargon94 - Actually, combinations in Go can sometimes be calculated far further in advance than in chess, mostly due to things such as ladders. There is one game famous game in particular which had a ~50 move forcing sequence.
I've always been happy with Pente.

Now I feel dumb.
Thanks for the link mats, if anyone wants to play a game on kgs anytime, my username there is sargon3012 (I think you can challenge particular people, or something)

As for a Go AI, considering the ones I've encountered so far seem to have suffered multiple strokes it seems like a worthwhile investment. Not sure how to go about it though.
If anybody else wants to learn Go, I found this site:
http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/
@ Duoas: You are the ONLY other person I know that to even seems to know what Pente is, in fact that game is the reason my Uncle taught me how to play Go. Some one once tried telling me that it was completely solved but I don't think they knew what they were talking about.
Pente's kinda neat in it's similarity to Go. Seeing as it was played by Greeks (who obviously resided in Greece), and Go was Chinese, before the two civilizations had meaningful contact. It shows an instinctive interest in strategy games. (and out-braining each other)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.