Got lost - I don't know what to do

Hello. I really don't know what to do. In the last year and a half I have been studying C++. I know the basics, how to work with data structures and classes. Now I started studying Qt. It doesn't look hard for now, but I am still in the beginning. What should I do next to become a programmer. I can't be a programmer with just the basics that I mentioned above and ability to work with Qt. The main things that I want to make are desktop applications. What should I learn next? And one last question. I heard that C++ is dying language. Is it true? Does C++ have future or I need to look at newer languages like C#?
The main things that I want to make are desktop applications.

You're answering your own question here.

You're asking what you should do... and you're saying you want to make desktop applications. So the logical answer to your question is "make a desktop application".

There will be parts of it you won't know how to do... but just learn those parts as you go. The important thing is to pick and project and just do it.

What should I learn next?

Learn by doing. Start writing code. Start making programs. Experience is the best teacher.

And one last question. I heard that C++ is dying language. Is it true?

No. Not even a little bit.
Snaksa wrote:
I heard that C++ is dying language. Is it true?

No. C and C++ will probably be around for a long long time. Almost all OSes are written in C and most software is written in C++. They are still widely used and I don't see it every really dying. The only ones that say it is dying are the ones that are either too lazy to learn it or just hate it because they prefer a different language.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Yea Java/C# extremists will tell you it's dying, don't believe them.
closed account (E3Uiz8AR)
The popularity of scripting languages means also that more people are coding, making statistically less C++ developers.

Also the high uptake of web APIs and cloud based software is detracting from the AMOUNT of C++ programming required of developers.

Thing is, languages like python depend on C to help compile and use more advanced libraries.

Just means more jobs for us lot! :)
Thanks a lot for all replies. Looks like I will continue with Qt and then I will start making applications to practise. :)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.