Macs

closed account (oGwfSL3A)
Am I the only one on here that either uses macs or at least likes them? I feel like I'm the only one.
closed account (owpE3TCk)
I have a mac, but I bought It from my brother.
I use a Mac (again) on account of "Apple, I like your hardware, but why does it violate specifications left and right and make using Linux at its full potential a pain?"

-Albatross
I absolutely love my iMac.

I don't care what people say about them. I hear a lot of cries of them being overpriced and too trendy but it really doesn't bother me at all. It's a joy to use.

Albatross, what do you mean Linux potential? Admittedly, I'm not a massive user of Linux, but I can do everything I need to in the shell. On that note, I recommend switching to zsh and iTerm for anyone who uses Terminal frequently.

I've got Windows Bootcamp'd on this thing too and can access it either at startup or through VirtualBox, which is handy.
I have three main issues with running Linux (specifically Linux Mint) on my Early-2013 Retina Macbook Pro.

1. Graphics switching for the Mac uses a system that's fundamentally different from NVidia's, meaning that last I checked, Bumblebee doesn't work.

2. Although Thunderbolt works in theory on Linux systems, in practice hotplugging is still unsupported. This could mean Bad Things as far as external monitor support goes, even if I still have an HDMI port.

3. I've read reports of there being wireless driver issues with Macbook Pros. These are particularly inconvenient since Retina Macbooks don't have Ethernet ports.

Seriously, what was I thinking? In hindsight, I probably should have gotten another Lenovo...

-Albatross
Last edited on
Sure, I'll love a Mac as soon as Apple gives me one for free. For the price they want I would sooner just buy a couple of PCs and swap one OS out of the second one for a Linux distro. I have my laptop that runs Crunchbang linux and then I have a desktop that has been unplugged in another room for about 6 or more months that has 3 hard drives in it (a 2TB with Vista, a smaller one for Crunchbang linux, and then the last one is a smaller one for just coding files). I don't need expensive things to be happy programming wise, hell been months since I even bothered programming anything of interest.
Oh right, I see. For some reason I thought you meant something Darwin was causing issues, rather than running a full Linux distro on there. To be honest, that's something I've never tried.

I agree wholeheartedly with the middle issue in a sense. Not so much the hotplugging, but Thunderbolt in general. I dislike the proprietary interfaces they tend to use as it means you have to shell out to get anything out of the (have you seen the price of an external Thunderbolt SSD!?).

BHX, it's not so much the programming side of things that I find alluring about the Mac. I mean, I do like XCode and writing code using Sublime and make is a breeze. It's just general usage for me. I don't know why, but I just find it very easy to get along with.

I like the way OS X is heading too. It's getting nicer to use with each iteration. I'm not just being some sort of Apple fanboy either. I think iOS is seriously on its way out (my phone history was Android -> Apple -> Android) and I'm loving KitKat right now.
I only use computers for programming. If I gave up programming right now I would no longer need my computers. I would just watch TV from then on. All the things I have on the internet is because of what I thought I would be doing by now career wise, but now that I've come to accept nothing is going how I thought it was I haven't touched one of my computers for a long time. My wife would just buy things for my son on her laptop and I would probably sleep most of the day.

I never have anything come from it, but I am up until 2am every night and up a 8am every morning like clockwork. :)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.