What's the best way to go about getting a job as a beginning CS Student?

Hello all,

I just completed my first semester of my Computer Science degree (all A's, except for one, which I'm waiting on, and might be an A-/B+. I just wanted to know what kind of entry-level jobs would be any kind of possibility for someone in my position, as a person trying to gain relevant experience, as well as something where I could possibly earn a little bit of money.

The programming class that I took was in C++, and I started learning about C++ on my own about 5-6 months prior to it. It is my strongest language, although I also know some other languages (C#, Java, JavaScript), HTML, Dreamweaver, PhotoShop, etc.

I have nothing against regular jobs (i.e. food service, retail, etc.), as I've worked tons of them for much of my life, but I just wish I could do something a bit more technical. I'm also not assuming that I deserve anything, or am entitled to anything, as I'm not, I'm just trying to see what a reasonable move could be for me.
Last edited on
I got a job at my university IT department. Pay sucks, experience is great. Might see if your university offers student worker type positions.
closed account (13bSLyTq)
Hi,

I don't have experience but I would suggest you may want to apply to small software firms with some type of part-time job with low salary. This would most likely get you a bigger chance of getting the job.

Maybe during interviews try to brush up on good manners and general communication. It has been recently proved that almost 70% of all interviewers make the first impression based on the clothing and the neatness.

The most observed clothing is the shoes, as mainly these tend to indicate your "REAL" organization and cleanliness and the maturity of your behaviour. Moreover, in Ireland I heard a lot of the Graduates from UK are going to Ireland in search for Software Engineering posts.

So Ireland is a good place for Younger Generations to aim for a Job.

TD;LR

Interviews are the main way to get a job and getting a good portfolio is a must.
See if your school offers assistance getting internships/co-op positions. Instead of taking the summer off, spend it working somewhere. Check out some software firms in geographic areas you're interested in. For summer positions, these places like to have their intern recruiting wrapped up by early/mid spring so you should start applying now.
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
Try also working private. They'll pay you by paypal and that. Google private programming jobs.

So Ireland is a good place for Younger Generations to aim for a Job.

Lucky me :D
The most observed clothing is the shoes

I've interviewed probably well over a hundred people by now (not beginners though), and never once looked at their shoes...
closed account (13bSLyTq)
Well, maybe it is you but from what I heard in UK it is what they say.
I don't think I want to work somewhere where a defining factor in the decision to hire me is what shoes I wear...
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
@ResidentBiscuit

He is saying that if you are well dressed then you look more serious, more convincing and all. And I don't this the main thing is shoes. I believe it's the suit.and if your shoes fit with the suit or stand out
closed account (N36fSL3A)
If I wear a 1k dollar suit and KD's to a job interview it will significantly lower my chances of getting a job.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Obviously you want to make a good impression by at least cleaning yourself up when you go to a interview which shows you are professional (Generally if you show up looking like a slob to a interview in my mind it shows you don't much care for the job and are most likely lazy).

Though I wouldn't go so far as saying if you dress well to a interview it will increase your chances of getting hired over other people. As long as your don't dress in something completely unprofessional you should be fine. In the end it is your charisma, ability to do the job (I like to think this is the main factor but this is not always the case) and a bunch of other little things that play the major role in whether you get hired or not.

Though if you are looking to be hired I would say the number one thing you need to concentrate on is networking. Get to know other programmers and people in the technology field. Just having one person that is within a company vouch for you or recommend you goes a LONG way in the hiring process. Ideally it should be your skill that gets you jobs but this isn't usually the world we live in (Though skill does still play a big factor). Usually it comes down to who you know. So get out there and start making connections.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.