• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Having Trouble Finding Programming Partn

Having Trouble Finding Programming Partner

closed account (N36fSL3A)
This is the 4th time this happened to me, people don't want to be my programming partner because of my age. This is the Skype chat that I just had. He, like others always say that I don't have ability based on my age.

Just a friendly convo to introduce myself with a dude I met on MC Forums.

[9:58:03 AM] Antoine Henry: Hi Freddan, I'd like to add you as a contact. Antoine Henry
[10:23:05 AM] *** Freddan has shared contact details with Antoine Henry. ***
[10:51:44 AM] Antoine Henry: 'Sup?
[10:57:18 AM] Antoine Henry: This is Fred2000789 by the way.
[10:57:26 AM] Antoine Henry: From the forums.
[12:25:52 PM] Freddan: Oh hello.
[12:25:52 PM] Freddan: Hang on a moment ty.
[12:28:34 PM] Antoine Henry: ok.
[1:24:12 PM] Antoine Henry: Got to go, I'll be back later.
[1:32:59 PM] Freddan: Hi 'ye back?
[1:34:07 PM] Antoine Henry: Well we're going to the mall, so I'll be back on later at night.
[1:35:11 PM] Freddan: Aww, then I'll be offline.
[1:35:44 PM] Antoine Henry: K, wait, how old are you?
[1:36:29 PM] Freddan: 11 and a half
[1:36:42 PM] Antoine Henry: Oh, I just turned 13.
[1:36:43 PM] Freddan: I'm a squeeker.
[1:36:48 PM] Antoine Henry: Oh, lol.
[1:36:51 PM] Freddan: No I am actually 17
[1:36:58 PM] Antoine Henry: Seriously?
[1:37:01 PM] Freddan: Yes
[1:37:05 PM] Antoine Henry: Oh.
[1:37:12 PM] Antoine Henry: When did you start learning C++?
[1:37:21 PM] Freddan: I study computer science with programming and web development.
[1:37:23 PM] Freddan: Five years ago.
[1:37:25 PM] Freddan: When I was twelve.
[1:37:30 PM] Antoine Henry: Oh.
[1:37:44 PM] Antoine Henry: What is your current project?
[1:37:49 PM] Antoine Henry: Like what are you working on?
[1:38:06 PM] Freddan: Just recently wrote a asteroids clone in Ruby and Chingu so I'm picking up SFML and some more trigonometry.
[1:38:09 PM] Freddan: For C++.
[1:38:15 PM] Antoine Henry: Oh.
[1:38:24 PM] Freddan: Then I'll start working on a 2D zombie survival game :)
[1:38:34 PM] Freddan: You?
[1:38:42 PM] Antoine Henry: Oh. I'm working on a 3D game engine.
[1:38:48 PM] Antoine Henry: With OpenGL and WinAPI.
[1:38:53 PM] Freddan: I don't believe you have the math required for a 3D game engine.
[1:39:01 PM] Antoine Henry: It's hard, but I manage.
[1:39:07 PM] Freddan: I don't believe you.
[1:39:13 PM] Antoine Henry: Seriously?
[1:39:16 PM] Freddan: The math you would need is what a 20 year old learns at university
[1:39:26 PM] Antoine Henry: Not really.
[1:39:30 PM] Freddan: Yes, really.
[1:39:41 PM] Antoine Henry: Matrixes, maybe yes.
[1:39:47 PM] Antoine Henry: Matricies*
[1:39:55 PM] Freddan: Linear algebra, advanced trigonometry etc.
[1:40:00 PM] Antoine Henry: Yep.
[1:40:10 PM] Antoine Henry: The internet is a valuable resource.
[1:40:16 PM] Antoine Henry: I seriously use it.
[1:40:37 PM] Antoine Henry: Right now I'm switching from Fixed Function to Shaders.
[1:40:40 PM] Antoine Henry: GLSL
[1:40:51 PM] Freddan: Sorry I'm going to have to remove you; see you and good luck.
[1:40:56 PM] Antoine Henry: ?
[1:41:00 PM] Antoine Henry: Uh, okay, cool.

Basically, I'm looking for a programming dude that I can help. Preferably my age, thanks in advance.
Last edited on
Ha, what a prick. Your age does affect some things (I'm guessing you're unmarried, and probably don't have kids), but programming ability isn't (necessarily) one of them. Though it does put a cap on the amount of experience you've had thus far (<= 2 years?) it'd be very hard to tell with absolute certainty what your level is, or even what the maximum for your age is.

As for a partner, I can't. Not because you're 13, but simply because I don't know OpenGl well :D
closed account (91qLy60M)
Sirs, yes he did come across rude. Sargon94, sir, the gentleman in the conversation didn't attack his programming ability he attacked his math knowledge, but I would assume that would depend on the amount of time you invest into learning math and not age.

I can't do it as I don't even know C++ more than a week or two now. Sorry, sir.
Sargon94, sir
Please, just Sargon94, or Sargon, or Sarg, or you-there, I can't take the "sir" thing seriously (it's me, not you).
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Lumpkin, I wouldn't program with anyone. Seriously, you come into conflicts with stupid things like syntax, design, and so on. While eventually, it might be nice to learn to collaborate as a group effort, it's probably really difficult at your age. I once tried this except with people much older than me. It drove me nuts since code I would spend hours on would just be removed or not trusted because of my age. When bugs or similar would pop up, I was usually immediately blamed except it was almost never my fault. Hell, at one point, I was flat out told I wasn't good enough lol.

Point is, don't give up and working with others isn't quite as intuitive as it might seem.
closed account (1v5E3TCk)
Lumpkin dont forget that we have a nice skype group. We are happy to be with you. I cant be online enough nowadays because of exams and the projects which I am working on but I am always glad to chat with you and share experience. Btw if you got a whatsapp account we can chat over whatsapp.( just send me your phone number if you have an account or I can send you mine)

And if we come to the topic, why they dont take you serious is they cant do the stuff which you do and they are being jealous about it. Sometimes they dont take me serous too but I dont care about it because I know myself and what can I do.

Just be self confident and ambitious about your life and dont care what they say, as I always say if you believe it then you can do it.

Meh, I guess I shouldn't be working in a group then. Thanks.

senhor I don't think I'll ever forget about that group, it's way to cool.
as I always say if you believe it then you can do it.

Does that mean I can fly if I REALLY try?

[/joke]
Hmm yes there is a Turk who flied along the Istanbul Bosphorus. You can search on Google as Hezarfen Ahmet Çelebi
closed account (13bSLyTq)
Fred, thats too rude of him.

Tbh Programming is more of logic than anything. Programming does not have a age limit. Period.

That's why I normally just keep my age as hidden as possible.
Last edited on
What? How was I rude? I'm not Freddan, I'm Antoine.
closed account (13bSLyTq)
Yes I know let me edit my post sorry I missed few words out.
@Lumpkin, You've mentioned to me just some of the topics you've looked upon and in my opinion you'd be an asset to have in a team, having dedication to power through the required advanced mathematics topics in order to put an engine together (and just 'cos maths is fun to learn about).

I've said before I'd love to help you out but I've got no idea at all about OGL, if you wanted though you are welcome to my maths libraries and such, or I can even help you out properly as a partner as long as either you take over graphics for OGL or let me do it with DX9 (although I'm still a noob so meh)
=D
closed account (zb0S216C)
I don't know if anyone has asked this yet, but what do you need a programming partner for?

Wazzak
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
@Lumpkin Me :D I'm 12 ;) (this is why I freaking have to lie that I'm 19 on other websites. At start I didn't tell anyone my age here but I heard a few youngsters, u and some other people saying I'm 12, I'm 13 ,14,15 so I just then said im 12 as u and some other young people were taken seriously.)

But I don't think I can help much, I'm not going for gaming also and I'm just on vectors
Last edited on
While I do agree that there are some things you'll be limited on due to your age such as math skills, years experience, mental capability and reasoning skills (which you seem to be far ahead of the bunch in), I don't think you should be shut down solely for your age; that guy was a complete ass. I.e., there are other ways to go about assessing someones capabilities than simply "I don't believe you." and spouting things he doesn't understand himself like "linear algebra, advanced trigonometry" [pompous voice]those are the things in 3D graphics bah hah hah[/pompous voice].

So it's completely true that you're gonna be capped in areas because of how much your brain's matured. But to hell with that guy.

You're always welcome to check out ChessPlusPlus. We've all been working on it (slowly but surely). Your contributions and ideas would be welcome. And we won't rip into you if an idea or some code isn't what we think it should be, lol.
irc.freenode.net#chessplusplus
I just wanted a group to learn skills with others. I noticed that reading text on a website tutorial has it's limits. I've found that I learned much more when I asked questions on here.
If you don't understand a text tutorial you can't ask it to rephrase :)
I would really want to work with you but we have too many exams here so I cant even find to get front of my computer but I hope I can be able to be online more often when it is summer
I'm just a slacker and don't care much for college so most of my evenings I spend in front of the pc, the problem is that I don't have any internet access at home other than 1gb on my phone each month. If I had internet I'd love to be working on I team project or helping others out more.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.