I Need A Sound Library

closed account (N36fSL3A)
I need a sound library for my game engine... I was thinking FMOD or OpenAL but can't decide.

I eventually plan on selling my work but I don't have 1k to blast on a library for my game engine that may or may not be a bust.

OpenAL has like zero documentation from what I can see, so I'm not to sure about that.

Any recommendations?
If you're already using SFML, why not use its built-in Audio support?
I was actually using SDL...

Either way I've dropped SDL (would have dropped SFML as well) because it didn't really give me any advantages... All the things that it gave me were eventually rewritten by me, and I experimented with SFML and didn't like it.

So I ended up just using WinAPI for windowing instead. There is no 3D audio capabilities.
So let me get this straight...for one of your first early projects, not only are you reinventing the wheel, but you're doing it in a non-portable way?

At this rate I don't know why you're even asking about using libraries if you're just going to rewrite the code yourself.
Last edited on
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
So you prefer WinAPI over SFML ? And you say you are pro object oriented programming..
No no no... this isn't my first game project. I've done others before... but only 2D. This is my first 3D project.

The reason I've been rewriting was because I didn't like how it was implemented by the library. SFML was more doable but I just didn't like it.

I'm planning on porting over to the other systems, the engine itself is very abstract and doesn't require you to input any OS-Specific Code.

I'm not going to rewrite any sound code (probably only write a wrapper). I've been searching and I don't want to use Direct Sound for obvious reasons.

EDIT: xerzi I never said I was an OOP pro ;p. I honestly don't like using WinAPI, that's why I wrote an abstract wrapper over it.
Last edited on
At that point, why wouldn't you just use a lightweight OpenGL context handler, like GLFW? It's designed around working with OpenGL, and it's quite modern. (even if it uses C).

GLFW essentially handles all the OpenGL code to you, and does all the context creation and handling itself.

EDIT: Of course, this is assuming you use OpenGL for 3D rendering
Last edited on
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
OOP pro != pro OOP

I don't really see how you can improve upon SFML's window class anyways, it provides everything you need really. Would actually like to see your wrapper and see what exactly you did differently.
Last edited on
Huh?

EDIT: Just decided to use OpenAL Soft... if I come into trouble then I'll just have to buy an fmod license.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.