Laptop Suggestions

hi all,
I'm going to buy a new laptop but I'm confused which one to buy. So, would you please suggest one?
I want the laptop to be good enough for the following:
1. For programming.
2. For gaming.
3. For other things...

[EDIT]

I do not want Mac's.

[EDIT2]

Budget : ~700$
Last edited on
Do you have a budget?
sorry! forgot to tell the budget .budget updated in original post.
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/

Check these.

Chose carefully.
It really depends on your preference and needs. I mean I'm still using a Compaq Presario that I bought back in 2006 because it still meets my needs. I just changed out for a 2TB hard drive and installed a Linux distro onto it. I think I payed paid between $400 - $600 for it.

[EDIT]payed? really? Don't know what I was thinking when I typed that. Goes to show, proofread before submitting.
Last edited on
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
Jan 30, 2014 at 7:04pm
BHX Specter (111)
It really depends on your preference and needs. I mean I'm still using a Compaq Presario that I bought back in 2006 because it still meets my needs. I just changed out for a 2TB hard drive and installed a Linux distro onto it. I think I payed between $400 - $600 for it.

+1

It seams like a laptop without a dedicated GPU is a whole lot cheaper in general than a laptop with a dedicated GPU. It also seams like modern Intel CPU's handle graphics pretty well.

The idea pad Y series seams nice, but I have heard they are not very-reliable (cheaply made).

so, any other suggestions @htirwin
is there any?
Don't do laptop gaming. Unless you don't want to play state of the art on your computer. That's my suggestion.
I recently went looking for a gaming laptop and found that the best and yet budget laptops are still about £450 at least... And tbh you don't want anything for gaming if it hasn't got a GPU.

Pretty much anything can handle programming since it's just text editing and then a compiler later, the better the processor the faster it'll compile of course.

I think the laptop I had my eye on was either an Acer or a Samsung (sorry I can't remember the model) which had something like a Radeon HD 7650 at £400-450.

I've decided to forget about this and get a PC instead... Actually I'll be making a PC with 8GB RAM, Intel i5 @3.0GHz, Radeon 7750 1GB DDR5, all for <£400 (thats with all other stuff like power and case)

EDIT: I'm either going to sell my current laptop (Dell Inspiron 1545) which effectively makes the PC cheaper... Or I'm going to keep it and dedicate that to programming and other work-y things.
Last edited on
PC's are always good than laptops in terms of performance but they don't have the mobility like laptops.

Pretty much anything can handle programming since it's just text editing and then a compiler later, the better the processor the faster it'll compile of course.

Text editing requires much CPU for things like autocomplete or check-code-as-you-type to be fast. Which is having a compiler running in the background whenever you touch anything; and C++ is one of the slowest languages to compile. Sure, for a small project, any laptop would be good, but for large things with lots of heavy libraries (like Qt) no computer is fast enough. You need write-compile-run loop to be as fast as possible.

Also a good GPU becomes important when you want to attach a high-res external monitor or two. Most cheap laptop's integrated graphics is limited to single-link DVI, i.e. 1920x1200 or even 1920x1080. And for comfort programming 2560x1440 is nice, 2560x1600 is awesome and 4K is even more awesome.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.